1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig Report: A Pedalboard Fail, and I’m Too Old For This

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by DoctorZee, Aug 11, 2019.

1. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    The Takeaways
    1. Maybe it’s time for a power brick, or loading the pedals with internal batteries for backup.
    ----Careful here... Some pedals default to batterie where there is one present... meaning you think you have a back up, but actually you are just running on the batterie. When that dies, as long as long as the batterie is still hooked up, external power wont work. - True story.
    ---- Also, moving things around regularly to get at batteries - plugging and unplugging - could result in a cable going bad, especially with some of the lower quality or DIY cables.
    ----A brick is a good solution, especially with a big board, with pedals that are funny about power, and gigging places that have so-so electrical. I've been using a one spot / daisy chain, and not had a problem.
    1. From now on I’ll bring a backup handheld tuner. I feel fortunate the tuner on my pedalboard got the job done.
    ---- Never a bad idea. I have a tuner on my board, but also keep a clip on tuner stashed away in my instrument case. The pedal board, I could play without. A tuner, not so much.

Good luck, and keep an eye out for a band that works for you!!!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    H2okie and Sore Thumb like this.
  2. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    :laugh: Me too!

As Lemmy said: "If you think you are too old to rock n roll, then you are."

Sore Thumb and s0c9 like this.
  3. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    I wish I was "too old" like you. When you get over 60, you wish you were only 35 again. I suggest taking some vitamins or drink more coffee.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Agree. I have my tester always in place in the power strip I use for my amp and pedal-board power. :)

As a guy who's 49 and playing in an 'originals band' (lol)...if you're booking a bowl/bar/club in Brooklyn, do Brooklyn Bowl. It's a better stage experience. ;)

DoctorZee likes this.
  5. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Raleigh
    I don't play well.
    Get a Warwick Rockboard battery. You're welcome.

6. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've had that pedal board failure before ... starting our 1st song after a break ... no bass!!! Quickly unpluged and went direct into amp. Damn I remember that brief panic! cost me hundreds of dollars of power brick / backup pedal options and alternate pass through tuner. I think when I finally found the offending pedal I wanted to make it Alabama talcum on the skeet range! ... it's long gone along with anything from that brand (who I shall not mention!) I did repair the pedal and traded it in ... so someone got a working pedal ... but I no longer wanted to even see it on my board.

7. I am 38, wife, child, and still doing metal gigs...

By the way...

...What's the best pedalboard power source for metal?!?!?!?

DoctorZee likes this.
  8. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    yes

Renaissance likes this.
  9. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

My schedule into Sept. We're booked into Jan 2020
    Not too bad for an old man.....b.1954

Sat Aug 3rd - Jerry Jam 13 Cathedral Pines Park Middle Island Rd Yaphank NY jcinosculptor@gmail.com
    Thurs Aug 8th - Alive After Five (6pm) James Joyce Pub Ocean Av Patchogue NY
    Thurs Aug 15th - The Warehouse (8pm) 203 Broadway Amityville NY 631.238.1820

Sat Aug 17th - Low Tide Bar (6pm) B97th St & Boardwalk Rockaway Beach NY
    Fri Aug 23rd - Blue Point Brewery (4pm) 225 W Main St Patchogue NY 844. 272.2739 - Sitting in with Dead Ringers

Sat Aug 24th - Beau’s Bar (10pm) 54 Broadway Greenlawn NY 631.269.4302
    Sun Sept 1st - Bradstock @ Camp Pa-Qua-Tuck (1pm) Chet Swezey Road Center Moriches NY 631.878.1070
    Sat Sept 7th - Private Party

Sun Sept 15th- Grateful Fest 7 (3pm) LIU Post University Tilles Center Lawn 720 Northern Bl Greenvale NY
    Sat Sept 21st - Arrowhead Ranch (7pm) 461 Cooley Rd Parksville NY 516.375.1666

P.S - NO PEDALBOARDS INVOLVED.....PLUG & PLAY.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 1:04 PM
  10. crankypants

crankypants

Aug 12, 2019
    Wow you are old, you should just quit.

11. DoctorZee

DoctorZee Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2018
    New York / New Jersey
    User name checks out. :thumbsup:

12. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yep, I’ve played the Gutter several times (even though I’m older than you). Miss that place and the Brooklyn scene.

DoctorZee likes this.
  13. Almost 67, originals R&B, loving it! :thumbsup:

:bassist::bassist: