Gig Report! Admiral Akbar with Red Panda 8/8/20

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Admiral Akbar, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Hello fellow Brethren and Sisters of the Low Frequencies!

I present my first gig report - a gig report from Long Island, NY, which You may recall was once a hotbed of the Coronavirus pandemic. But — due to the perseverance of NY’ers during a prolonged government-issued lockdown, restaurants are re-opened with outdoor seating, limited indoor seating and... live music is slowly creeping back on the scene!

Last evening I had the pleasure to play with my band, Red Panda at Big Daddy’s Bar and Grill in Massapequa, LI. For anyone not in the know, Big Daddy’s is a renowned local spot for Cajun food and live Americana music (re: Blues, early rock and roll).

while this report will lack the car packing and drive, and the female fan contingent that one expects to find at places like Gilley’s in California where BassCliff’s bands play, I hope you enjoy these few pics and I hope that we all get back to regularly gigging in a safe environment!

this is our lead vocalist and guitarist extraordinaire, Jim. Jimmy is in full pandemic compliance with his face mask.
    F6BA3CA1-D578-4F1F-9C13-751147DBB38B.jpeg

Here we have, Joanna a great musician who covered violin, backing vocals, percussion, and piano - J happens to be Jim’s lovely wife. Both Jim and J are my next door neighbors as fate would have it!
    B59458BC-9C2A-40B7-818C-69907DC4C3F7.jpeg
    Here is Dan, our drummer. Dan, who is a great player with a nice feel, is also super picky about his and our performance. I love having Dan in the band because he keeps everyone honest and on our toes. Dan and I love to discuss jazz during breaks.
    3824DD05-645F-4048-B28A-A0E672374123.jpeg
    finally, here’s the bald bass player in the white Johnny Cash shirt. Also in full compliance with Covid 19, but as we played that mask came off. (We were outdoors with plenty of distance from each other and the audience.)
    A37C9D2D-6CBE-4265-AC4E-87E77A4074D9.jpeg
    So - we played on the corner of the street, facing the restaurant, and our audience filled out two legs on either side of the restaurant as you can see here:
    08791B5B-743A-48A9-9806-6004CDBD5A2D.jpeg B4430D85-C2EE-4C4B-9A28-362AF9CC205C.jpeg
    Here are some shots of my rig. I used my 2017 Sadowsky single cutaway 5 string, which is an absolute joy to play and a very versatile tone machine. This bass features the Sadowsky innovative bridge pickup, which allows the player to switch between 60’s and 70’s bridge pickup position. Very cool, and really highlights the tonal difference pickup position makes between 60’s and 70’s Fender jazz Basses. 4E8B82DF-B371-4693-8C10-28CA27CA7FD1.jpeg
    I also used a Jerry Jones 1988 Bass 6, which is his version of the Danelectro “longhorn” Bass 6 used on so many country records back in the day. My longhorn is strung with labella flats and provides the best of two worlds: meat and potatoes vintage bass sound and upper register guitar-like chords and soloing. The Bass 6 is great in a smaller band setting, such Red Panda. CA72E01B-2406-4AE2-9487-F3DDE9BBDAE3.jpeg
    For amplification, I used a Noble preamp into Bergantino B|Amp into Bergantino HT and HD112. Here’s a pic of my pedalboard, which made its gigging debut last night:
    F9C155D5-D18B-4BD2-B539-7526C2BBCE14.jpeg
    Finally, here are some random pics of the setup dance and a band shot: 3A3A314C-6F5B-40DC-AA43-D768ACE6A4C6.jpeg EB02BE3C-3C19-44D1-9CF0-9D50D5838DCB.jpeg
    Thanks for reading and hope to post more and hope to read more gig posts from you guys! (Hint, hint @BassCliff :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  2. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Nice gig report ... I bet you stopped the traffic ;)

3. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Ah ha - yes a few cars did stop and snap pictures and honk. It was cool.

Bunk McNulty and nixdad like this.
  4. donkeygrl

donkeygrl Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Indiana
    Woohoo live music lives! Glad you guys got to play out! :hyper::bassist::hyper:

5. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Thank you - we are doing it again this Wednesday but on a real stage!

nixdad, portpc and Sore Thumb like this.
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

Outstanding! So much to like about this gig report and the gig. It's great to see things slowly getting back to normal for you. Nice band, nice gear, nice parking lot, nice! :D I appreciate you sharing your fun with us.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

nixdad, Admiral Akbar and Sore Thumb like this.
  7. I know that intersection & have performed at this venue, I'm happy to hear that no cars drove up on the sidewalk when you were performing! Thanks for the report..

nixdad and Admiral Akbar like this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Great report! What an awesome and unusual (in a good way) looking Sadowsky!

nixdad, Admiral Akbar and Sore Thumb like this.
  9. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Yes - the parking lot is an atypical place to play, but we made it work. We had a great time performing - it’s been since March, so I think we would’ve performed in the middle of Beirut if we could!

Bunk McNulty, nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  10. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Yeah - cool vibe at a Big Daddy’s, right? Nice to see Big Daddy’s returning strong post-COVID. As far as our precarious location, we managed to avoid any incoming traffic!

nixdad and portpc like this.
  11. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    It is interesting - I wouldn’t call it the sexiest bass Id ever seen, but man it plays great and sounds fantastic! It is super comfortable and tonalky is a Swiss Army knife of an instrument. Roger Sadowsky knows how to make tone happen so consistently.

nixdad and two fingers like this.
  12. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Excellent report, & congrats on the gig.
    Which songs do you use the JJ Baritone Guitar for? Do you use any specific effects when you use it?

Admiral Akbar likes this.
  13. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Thank you, nixdad—we had a great time for sure!

as far the longhorn - it’s technically a “bass”, as it is strung in the same octave as a regular 4 string bass, but with the extra B and E on top (same as guitar but an octave lower.)

I used on tunes like Velvet Underground’s Rock an Roll, reggae tunes, even funk. It seems to excel when used with a pick - it gets Avery aggressive tone. Really cool. Effects: usually just Cali76 compressor, but also I will use traditional guitar effects like chorus, overdrive, reverb. Speaking of chorus, I cracked the circuit board tony beloved 80’s Ibanez CS9 after the gig, sigh. But I love the instrument and it allows me to “wear a different hat” at the gig. Still very much a “traditional” bass, but it opens up a lot of areas to be creative and contribute to the music!

nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  14. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks @Admiral Akbar, I appreciate the clarification. It's been a long time since I've seen one of the 6 string JJ's (Joe Walsh bought the black one he used in Hell Freezes Over from us - single cutaway, not a longhorn.) I believe a Danelectro 6-string bass was used on some of The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds era recordings as well (and even on Dance, Dance, Dance,) and it's so cool to hear the reverb when this instrument is used. I have no doubt the combination of compressor, chorus, overdrive and reverb is something else on that instrument!

This is too funny...
    My son just received his Chase Bliss Dark World Reverb this week - UNBELIEVABLE tones from that thing! I was just about to recommend you check this out, but in reviewing your photos above I see you already have one!

Your Sadowsky is quite handsome as well.

15. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Yes! The Chase Bliss is a fascinating reverb with lots of delicious options to consider - I love it for regular reverb and for more creative stuff as well. The fact your son has this and is going to grow with it is even more exciting!

you are quite right about The bass 6. Early on, the 2 most popular were the Danelectro and the Fender Bass VI (there was a Gibson earlier, but it failed to catch on compared to the Dano and Fender). To my ears, The Fender is more twangy and the Dano is more “bassy”. Both were used in lots of country sessions to double the upright bass (tick-tack bass) to help the bassline pop out more in a track. But they were also used on Beach Boys, Beatles, the Cure, and many other applications.

I think the reason both the Longhorn and Fender are still niche instruments is because most traditional electric bassists aren’t into the short scale and tight string spacing and don’t want to make adjustments to the bass 6, and guitarists who could play a bass 6 do not necessarily want to play bass!

nixdad likes this.
  16. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    @Admiral Akbar -
    A question from my son, who’s quite the effects horse:
    - Have you tried the Hyper Luminal by Darkglass?
    - If yes, how did it compare to the Cali 76?

Thanks,
    Chris

17. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Hey Chris!

I have not tried the hyper luminal at all. Actually in full disclosure, what brought me to the Cali 76 was Talkbass. It seemed nearly every other picture of a pedal board had a Cali76 somewhere on it. In the case of “praise and worship” pedal boards, nearly everyone had a Cali76, lol.. so I figured why not I’ll give it a shot! ... I’m glad I did. The Cali very gently “evens out” the bass tone, and presents your bass as it you would imagine it would sound on a studio recording. Basically, I leave the Cali on the entire time I’m playing, it’s a very musical and sensitive pedal that you don’t notice it’s there... prior to the Cali, i haven’t used much compression at all, but when I would, it would be an old Boss CS-2. Do you play the hyper luminal?

nixdad likes this.
  18. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi AA -
    I appreciate the info. My son is the one inquiring, so I'll pass this along to him as I believe he's considering either the Cali or HL for his next purchase. He's very much into different fuzz pedals and the like, so he's likely looking for a better compressor than he uses now.

I'm in an A/E Beatles band, so the only effects I use are a TC micro-Compressor, the Soundblox OFD (to get the Tone Bender sound for "Think For Yourself" and a micro-Mooer Tender Octaver for "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Most of what I need for this gig comes from my Ric with Thomastik flats played with a pick.

19. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Wow - I would LOVE to hear a Ric with flats and a pick. Altho I play fingerstyle 85% of the time, I love the sound of bass played with a plectrum... especially on flats!

20. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for asking! I wish the bass was higher in the mix, but this is probably the best example. Headphones will help considerably. ;)

BassCliff and Admiral Akbar like this.