1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig report: Americana Winery, Interlaken NY, 5/5/19

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by CallMeAl, May 6, 2019.

1. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    We played at this lil winery for the 2nd time on Sunday. Some guests joined us for a few tunes, trumpet, harmonica, and vocalist. All extra players added a lot! We nearly filled the place, at least we packed the little dining area where we play. Lots of dancing and most of the audience stayed for the whole 3 hours. We just got a call today to book us again! So a big success in my book. :)

Here's us with the harmonica:
    IMG-20190506-WA0003.jpg

And here's my rig, pre show:
    20190505_153409.jpg
    We ended up cutting the Bass on my Rumble through the night, down to 0 (yes, we discussed amp stands over in the Rumble Club ;) ) I was surprised at how much this accidental EQ change made my Rumble sound like an Ampeg!

Sorry no food pics today (still getting the hang of this gig report thing ) BL got a burger, but it was cold by the time he got to it :meh: The brown and red ales were tasty though!:thumbsup:

Cheers!

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Stumbo, MrLenny1, JimK and 26 others like this.
  2. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Very cool! Good work! Please do more reports. How does that Cajon sound in the mix. Does it get out there?

3. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Freaking awesome! We mic it with a drum mic. I dont even miss the drums, and that's saying something. Bonus 1: I only need a Rumble 100. Bonus 2: HUGE novelty factor. EVERY gig: "what is he playing!?"

nixdad, McG, mikewalker and 1 other person like this.
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @alanloomis1980,

Were you playing on a hollow floor? If so, decoupling the cabinet from the floor, or a hollow stage, will let your amp sound better. It might've even helped just to put your Rumble on the rug. I use a $3 black plastic crate from Walmart as a stand for my 210 cab. When you are set up on the floor, without a stage, I really like your idea of using a lighted string to delineate the "stage" area from the public area. Nice idea. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Sore Thumb, G19Tony, nixdad and 7 others like this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    One of the benefits of a HPF is that you cut the mud and can still use your tone control.
    Cool gig! Congrats on being rebooked.:bassist:

6. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Noted on the stand! Looking at my options ATM. BL is all about lights, we bring them everywhere!

nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  7. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    need to look at HPFs a little deeper. I know you've advocated those before!

8. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Very cool. Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but I love playing wineries and breweries out in my area. The crowd is built in, the place is already making money, and new people are rotating in and out every 1/2 hour.

Oh and if you're lucky enough to grab a Saturday afternoon slot with drunken bridal parties limo-busing it through the place, even more fun!

G19Tony, nixdad, nbsipics and 4 others like this.
  9. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    That circuit is our bread and butter. We still play bars but rare.

We had a traveling rock n roll theme birthday party come through. They were more GnR and Def Leppard, but we met in the middle with some Stones. :cool:

nixdad, McG, Kevin Teed and 1 other person like this.
  10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    My cousin lives in Ovid, and works at Americana part-time. Nice place.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  12. did you say "trumpet"! I love a trumpet band!
    I say work in some Herb Alpert!

13. Very cool and congrats on the call back that is always nice.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  14. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    We know Fly me to the moon, Kansas city, other trumpet friendly stuff... but this cat could hang with anything!

Jimmy4string likes this.
  15. GAH I love it!

16. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    The lack of gear is impressive. I bet that’s not a bad load-in at all.
    Happy you had a nice gig.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  17. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Theres another PA speaker and a rack of lights to stage right, but yeah we travel light. All fits in 2 volvos with room to spare!

18. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Love your concept. Reminds me of a band from 'round these parts called Town Meeting. Guess you'd mark them down as Americana. Frontman wails (wears batting gloves) on the cajon. They give excellent show.

nixdad and alanloomis1980 like this.
  19. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    It's always sweet when they call you back! Good going!

Spidey2112 and alanloomis1980 like this.
  20. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    alanloomis1980 and diegom like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021