1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig report: DB750 + NV610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rocky55, May 9, 2006.

1. Hey guys,

GAS won and I did it. On Easter Monday I drove 5 hours to NH and 5 hours back to pick up a mint NV610. Then a couple weeks ago, I drove 4 hours to Toronto and 4 hours back to pick up a mint DB750 from fellow TBer Contrapuntal. :hyper: I tried the rig in my bassment for a about a week and finally got to play a first gig with it last weekend. It was a wedding for a musician friend (a bunch more musicians were in attendance) in a room for about 150.

I thought the room might be quite live, but it turned out to be somewhat dead. I had the mains turned up on our PA pretty high, almost to the point of clipping without being too loud in the room. Everyone was happy with the levels, even the owner (this is a large reception centre with 5 rooms & there was music in the other rooms that night). During soundcheck, I realized that I didn't need to put the bass through FOH (I ALWAYS do). The DB750/NV610 is LOUD as hell. I also got to sit out for a few tunes and have other musicians get up and play. The bass was loud and full and clear everywhere in the room. I couldn't believe it. The bass players there commented on the tone too.

I ran the gain at 9:00 and the master between 12:00 & 1:00 for the fisrt set, then cranked the gain to 2:30 and master way down around 8:00 and got the same results, with a little more grit. It was awesome. I'm definitely not as eloquent as some other guys on here, but what I found with the rig was that it produced the right sounds where it was supposed to. I mean, the lows were there but not overpowering (burying)everything else. The low mids were very tight and cut through better then any rig I've used before. Higher notes could be heard without a hiss. I usually find that my rig (EA) sounds wicked by itself, but when the band gets going, all that tone tends to get lost a bit. It still sounds pretty good, but doesn't cut through as well. The Aggie/Berg combo sounded killer all night long, no matter if the guitars, drums or vocals got loud.

For reference, I play a Lakland 55-94, EQ flat, coil selector on bridge side, pan control around 10:30 (bridge pickup). I playl fingerstyle and have sort of a wooly sound to my touch. I grew up playing country, but this was a rock band covering stuff like the Beatles, CCR, AC/DC, Ozzy, INXS, Tragically Hip, Jet, Counting Crows, etc.

Anyway, I might report back once I have had a few more gigs with the new rig, but for now, the only reason I would get rid of it would be because this is A LOT (almost too much) of amp. :bag:

P.S. I completely forgot my camera at home that night, so I will have to wait for next weekend to take pictures. I have my little EA rig setup at home and am way too lazy to bring the big rig in from the garage. :oops:

Lager,
    Rocky

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    wow,

sounded like a pounding rig! :bassist:

3. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I have a new NV610 coming in late June and I have a feeling that a DB750 will be following sortly after that.

4. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm still thinking about picking up an NV610, or maybe... just maybe an NV215...

5. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

I am praying I will need both of those cabs!!!!!

6. You know you need it! I have been planning on getting a Sadowsky also... probably a Metro, but after listening to your clips on the PJs... it sounds that they might be the ticket for me. Did I read correctly somewhere that Roger might make the PJ setup available in the Metros soon? I would likely buy before the end of the year. :hyper:

7. I would love to need both those also, but after this weekend, I can't imagine a situation where that would be the case. However, I would love the raise the 610 a couple feet off the floor, so stacking it might be the ticket. Mmmm.... :bag:

8. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Hey Rocky, this the response I got from Roger Sadowsky about a month ago

Hello Roger,

Do you and your team have any plans in the near future of offering a PJ Metro any time soon?

"Hey Bob,

I plan to do this, but it will not be in the "near" future.

Best regards,

Roger Sadowsky"

I pushed him a little more and he said it would be a year or two :crying:

9. Well that sucks! Thanks for the info Lavaman. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed I can find a used USA Vintage 5 string PJ with an ash body in '59 burst! The quilted top would just be bonus. :crying: :bawl:

10. http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/3702.html

How about this one??? Not ash I know but damn good pedigree!! By the way, I love my 750/NV610 combo and I have seriously thought about getting an NV215 or another 610 but there really is no point, 1 is a plenty to crush anything I need to crush!! Congratulations and enjoy!

Peace,

T

11. Thanks Tom,
    I just requested a price from Kevin. :bag:
    However, I think I will have to make a trip to NYC and try different models before I drop that kind of cash.

"Crush" is a good word to describe the rig. I might use that.

Lager,
    R