Gig Report: Eden 210XST

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thejohnkim, Jul 5, 2004.

1. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    So I've had this cab for a few weeks, and mostly been only able to use it in rehearsals in smaller rooms. So I've been refraining from posting up any impressions until I got to use it in a decent sized gig.

For the record, if you're too lazy to scroll to my sig, i'm pushing a single 4ohm 210XST with one side of my Peavey, which gives it 350 watts into 4 ohms.

The room was a large-ish multi-purpose room at a local university that held a group of about 400 people with room to spare for generous aisles in the middle and all around, no carpet tiled floor, strangely formed jagged ceiling with huge rafters that ran all around.

It was a Christian conference, so my band was mostly either rocking out, or mellowed out, with an acoustic guitar, djimbe, electric guitar, drummer, me, and 2-3 vocalists. Everything (including drums) was mic'ed except for me, because only a pair of 15" JBL eons were being used as the mains.

I was worried that I wasn't going to come through at all, but this cab can put out some serious sound at modest wattages. The sound was very deep, and I definitely heard what others have described as a very slight high-mid hump. I kept the tweeter level at 12 o'clock, and adjusted my treble with tone knob on my bass mostly, turning it al lteh way down for the mellower songs.

I have to say that i probably got some help from being on one of those raised stages that yo ucan fold up and roll away. pretty sure it coupled with my cab pretty well to boost the low end because i didnt have to drive the amp into clipping at all to get too loud. The response was very strong down to the low E on the B string, and started to slowly roll off to the B at higher volumes, but at lower volumes it seemed pretty even, so its either that those frequencies got lost i nthe mix or the cab needs more juice to dish out that satisfying chest-pressuring sound. And the bass was heard well at least as far back as the first 250 people in that big room. and i ahve to say that even though i'd like to be feeding it something closer to 900 watts, the efficiency of this cab makes me satisfied for the time being with 350.

The high strings definitely sounded a lot thicker and meatier than they did through the same rack feeding into teh effects loop of my swr wm 15 combo, with a nice tight feel. It wasnt as punchy as a pair of EV sx100 cabs i used once, but they were punchy enough, i'll take the low end as a good trade. Overall, the cab had a nice meaty deep sound that let through the growl of my bass and usually overdriven tubes.

It was on its side btw, with my rack on top weighing it down.