Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gig Report- Eden Death Rig tested!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just got back from a gig, the first one that I was able to test my Rig of Doom (Eden WT-300, CarvinDCM1000, 2 D-410XLTs) at full blast. One word.

Oh my sweet, sweet lord! It was something else entirely, and in GCGC, and ADGCF, the thing must have blown a few peoples gaskets. The cabs were loud as all get out, and the poweramp performed marvelously. All 8 10's were pumping out, and it sounded round, fat, and cut through the mix...wait, I take that back, it WAS the mix. I've seen bass heaven...and it was right behind me!

:D

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Part of your last sentence appears to have been cut off. I am pretty sure it should read, "I've seen bass heaven...and it was right behind me...making me sterile!" ;)

I'm glad you dig the rig. I'm also glad I don't have to help you move the damn thing. I'm getting too old to move 2 4x10 cabs. Or, as Grandpa Simpson said, "I'm cold, and there are wolves after me."

3. And deaf.

:D

Earplugs used?

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No. Why? :D

5. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Did you use a 4 or 5 string? I'm using a WT400 with a D-210XLT and a D-115 and would like to go with one 410. I used my Lakland 55-94 while sitting in with a local band and their bass player had a WT500 (Bridge @500watts) and a 8ohm D-410XLT. I bottomed out a few times? Any thoughts?

6. Self-explanatory.

OSHA publishes specs for various loudness levels that cause permanent hearing loss. They publish this for a reason: loud noise makes you deaf.

Permanently.

If you've ever come home with any ringing in your ears after a gig, you've come home with permanent hearing damage.

It is cumulative.

Watch your guitar player. He plays Tune #1, then turns up. He plays Tune #2 and turns up. He plays Tune #3 and turns up again.

His ears are being desensitized from the loudness and he is undergoing temporary hearing loss, so he turns up.

This is typically an affliction of the young. When they get to my age, they are more deaf than a husband with a nagging wife. My 23 year old (former) guitar player has the classic "It can't happen to me" attitude. He will be as deaf as Beethoven when he gets a little older, and his musical career will be destroyed.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    One 5, one BEAD 4 string. The 5er is ADGCF, and the 4 is GCGC (that's G below Low B, by the way)

About Bottoming out, it's because it was an 8 ohm cab, so you weren't pumping a full 500 into the cab. The 500 watts is RMS at 4 ohms. 8 ohms is less, though I don't know by how much, I'd recon maybe 250 watts or so.

bgavin- Earplugs are a part of the set. I only didn't have a pair at that gig. I usually wear them at gigs, but I was shorthanded last night. I realize than hearing damage is seriously possible, which is why both my guitarist and I wear them.

8. Kick ass, man! Glad to hear you are rattling some skulls with your 4x10 and my old one! :D
    I remember hearing the couple of notes you were able to get away with playing through that thing at Bass Central and thinking, "I hope the neighbors have earthquake insurance!"

9. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Brenden, The WT500 is 500watts when bridged into an 8ohm load so it was getting alot more power to the cab. I wish they would go to 4 ohm when brideged though.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn. Well, then, Guru, I don't know about the bottoming out then...

and Dave, what you heard at BC wasn't even in bridged mode! (found that one out when I got home) Now...WHOO BOY!

11. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    "One word.
    Oh my sweet, sweet Lord!"

hey comon thats 5.

now if you had only one word it would prolly be "#$%!":eek: :eek: :eek:

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    when i told my family that brendan's band had a gig saturday night, we high-tailed it all the way to Tampa!

:D ;)

actually, i wanted to go and have my bowels turned inside out. heck, i would have even helped carry the "murder weapons."

too bad it just HAD to be my brother's birthday :( :D .

i'll hear you one of these days.

and now, actually being at the gig is optional, what with the "RIG O' DEATH" and all.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    well, we should have a gig here sometime in the semi-near future, Brad. And, if in Doubt, ask Flipper about the gig...I drug him along, and he might be able to convey the experience...:D