1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig report - First time out with the funk 8-piece AND personal best gig yet!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Frank77, Dec 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. So, as per title, this last Wednesday was our first time gigging together, and it was epic!

We had booked a small venue (capacity of about 100 people, give or take) and through an aggressive social media campaign, a big crowd showed up. Matter of fact, we ended up having to turn people down at the door as we were exceeding the venue's safe capacity! That was a first for me, especially with a band that plays almost only originals!

We had the luxury of a proper soundcheck with a guy who knows his stuff. On stage, we could all hear ourselves reasonably well despite the fact that there's a lot of us. I also briefly congratulated myself for not giving in to GAS a few months earlier: I was concerned my PJB Suitcase + 4B ext. cab (about 350 watts total) wouldn't be enough with such a large band, but it was more than enough for my stage volume (ran it at about 65%).

The crowd was really into it, dancing the whole set and cheering after each solo. I had never seen a crowd so enthusiastic for original songs before, and with the place being packed like it was, it truly was a fantastic night.

Alex (our singer) did great, despite the fact that she felt sick and had a fever. Sadly, it was not the kind of fever that could be cured with more cowbell, but she soldiered on.

Lessons learned: Next time, I'll remember to bring a hand towel with me on stage to wipe my forehead / hands / forearms between tunes (my bass definitely earned some mojo points that night) and a bottle of water!

Alright, now pics! (All photo credits: Isabelle Maher-Jouanjean)

The cozy venue:

Our singer, Alex and I:

Alex and our BL / Songwriter, Fabien (guest appearance by the legendary G&L eye-gouging headstock)

Our horn section, The Guilty Feet (from L-R: Marc, Olivier, Clément ):

Our guitar player, JD. Classically-trained, this dude can wring the sh!t out of his guitar but knows when it's time to dial it back. The only guitar played I've truly enjoyed playing with so far.

Our drummer Mike, and me, holding it down:

Group photo:

Well deserved post-set pint:

Our band's site (with a media player and 4 songs - 3 originals, 1 cover)

hyperstar

Happy New Year to all!

...So is this where I write "Thank you for your indulgence" ?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Nice gig .. Excellent B&W photos ... You know I have to ask, Video? Food & Rig? pics ;) ;)

Fat Freddy and Frank77 like this.
  3. Hahaha, yeah I know, those are usually mandatory...There might be a video in the works (from the same talented woman who took the photos). Food was not provided, sadly. I haven't reached BassCliff's level when it comes to landing sweet gigs, but working on it.

As for my rig, I didn't take a picture of it that night, but this is what I used:

PJB Suitcase combo + a 4B extension cab. 8 x 5'' drivers, about 350 watts @ 4 ohms.

GregC, BassCliff, kcole4001 and 4 others like this.
  4. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Nice story! I hope you will have many more like it!

Frank77 likes this.
  5. Wow, sounds like a fun night! Congrats!
    And, nice website you have.

Frank77 likes this.
  6. Thanks!

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice job all the way around! glad you had that moment and i hope you have many more like it! it's good to be good! :thumbsup:

Frank77 likes this.
  8. Nice website and songs. One comment, all the songs have long instrumental lead-ins before the vocalist begins. Nice grooves and all, but I was looking for her voice.

seanm and Frank77 like this.
  9. Thanks and duly noted, I'll relay your comment to our BL as a suggestion for our next tunes...it's good to have that kind of honest feedback to avoid sounding the same on every song. Thanks for listening!

GregC likes this.
  10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I agree with this. Maybe the first song in the list should have a short intro and get straight into the vocals?

11. Radio

Radio

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    Very good story. I'm happy for your wonderful success, and wish you many more.

P.S. I love the music, the lineup, the media. Nice job.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Frank77 likes this.
  12. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

It sounds like you guys had an excellent first gig! The tunes on your website are fantastic. I'm sure the crowd had a great time listening to you. You guys seem like a "funky Chicago" kind of band. I dig your sound. Keep up the good work! :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

13. Thanks a lot for your kind words, Cliff, and Happy New Year to you!

:thumbsup:

BassCliff likes this.
  14. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Gigs like that are what keep us coming back to doing this. Congratulations on having it on the first gig. I will be checking out your band page later when I can (wife is sick and asleep).

Frank77 likes this.