Gig Report: Herbie Hancock's Headhunters '05 with Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cgworkman, Jun 13, 2005.

1. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    This past Thursday June 9th, I had the pleasure of seeing Herbie Hancock's Headhunters '05 featuring probably the most talented musicians on the planet!

On stage were:
    Herbie Hancock (of course) - Keys
    Marcus Miller - Bass
    Kenny Garrett - Sax
    Roy Hargrove - Trumpet
    John Mayer and Lionel Loueke - guitar
    Terri Lyne Carrington - drums
    Munyungo Jackson - percussion

Now I've read a few things about some people being hesitant about seeing Marcus with Herbie Hancock. Well, all I'm going to say is that if you have a chance to get tickets for this tour - do it. If you don't, you are an idiot.

This was, no lie, the best concert I think I've ever seen. Great music, great musicians, great sound - you name it. They played for about 2 1/2 hours. They did a few tunes from Herbie's new CD coming out later this year. Marcus did Frankenstein from his new CD. The rest was various Headhunter's tunes from way back.

You must see it!

I was surprised to see one thing though... Marcus was playing a Sting signature bass. He played it as much as he played his regular Jazz bass. I never pictured a Sting bass being played like this - now I have GAS for one... He played the Sting bass for at least half of the songs, if not more.

The best part of the whole show was seeing Marcus just be a bassplayer. He took exactly one solo all night. I really enjoyed seeing him just play bass.

Marcus' bass work was the some of the best I've ever seen. We've all heard him solo and do this and do that. However, listening to him just play bass was worth the ticket price.

Everyone on the stage was great. I was shocked by John Mayer. I've never heard him before, but I've heard others make fun of him for some reason. Well, all I can say is: The boy can throw down like the rest of them. I don't know what he does on other stuff, but he was playing his a*s off all night.

If you can get tickets, get them. You won't be let down. I guarantee it.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I posted about this same show on the Bassists forum. I saw the tour opener in St. Louis. That P-bass Marcus had may have been a 1951 Reissue bass, but I was far away, it may have been a Sting signature bass also. I'm sure Marcus Miller played that bass to reproduce Paul Jackson's sound in the original Headhunters group. These guys were such great musicians that I had my jaw hanging! Even my wife, who is not a fusion fan, was standing and clapping for Marcus Miller and a few other soloists. I think most people who criticized John Mayer did so because he is a singer/songwriter primarily. He also happens to be a Berkley graduate and he played like one at the show. Anybody who can catch this tour needs to scratch up the cash and go!
  3. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I was in the fifth row :smug: and you could see the mother of pearl inlay with the Sting sig in it.

Regardless, it was a great show!
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Wow, I'd love to see that lineup. I didn't realize Garrett and Hargrove were with him. Mayer seems like an odd match....surprising.
  5. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Is this the same acoustic singer-songwriter John Mayer?

I wouldn't have pictured him as a fusion cat.
  6. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Can't find tour dates anywhere. Does anyone have them?
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Yeah, but also the same guy who cut his teeth playing SRV-style on a strat, and who's been on TV lots lately jamming with Clapton and lots of other high profile pickers. :cool:
  8. OOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!! I should have gone. And at Fraze Pavillion to boot!!! Great venue for a show!!!! I will kick myself for weeks for not going!
  9. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    We drove down from Mansfield. A 2 hr and 15 min drive.

Worth every second.

10. Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Dr. Cheese, I was also at the Pageant show, it was GREAT! I'm definately glad I got to see the man himself, Herbie Hancock.

Here's my report:

They opened with Watermelon Man, followed by a song which started with an S - a french phrase off, his new album, then another off his new album which John Mayer sang. After this, they did Candyman, off Marcus's new album, which he BURNT UP, followed by Butterfly, into Actual Proof. The other guitarist, from Africa, then did a song solo on the stage in his native language. They came back to funk out on Chameleon for a good half hour. I think they did Hang Up Your Hangups as an encore, not too sure though..

Herbie actually broke out the keytar a few times!

John Mayer held his own, the only white boy on the stage wasn't doing too bad..

I wish they had Mike Clarke on the drums though. Don't get me wrong, Terri Carrington could groove, but Clarke woulda been nice.

Marcus played a '51 Sting Reissue on most of the Headhunters tunes, but for the new songs, he rocked the '77 Jazz. The man is funky! He used the EBS setup, I couldn't see his head, but I'm sure it's what he always uses.

I swear to you guys, at times, with my eyes closed I coulda sworn Paul Jackson was up there..

I didn't get to record the show, they were serious about any cameras and whatever, I barely got a few pictures with my camera phone before some staff member walked up saying that was a no go.

This was a once in a lifetime thing, and it was a hell of a show!
  11. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    This guy always suprises me. he's really good.
  12. I was in the second row for the Kettering show. From what I understand, it is only a 4 or 5 gig tour and now they are done. Well, I'm a real Marcus fan, and it was a treat to see him live for the first time. I was very impressed that he got in the spirit of the old HH by using the PBass and playing with his fingers 90% of the night.

I actually didn't dig the concert as much as I thought. The HH stuff, to me, hasn't really aged very well. I don't care how burning you are, 15 minutes of Chamelion was a little much.

I also thought the mix in the band was strange. The two guitarists seemed very out of place to me... the South African guy (I forgot his name) was great, but his style really didn't seem to fit in, and John Mayer is a great rock guitarist, but his vocal tune also didn't seem to fit in. It was a strange mix of players and tunes throughout the evening for me.

Also, I was actually hoping that Marcus and Terri Lynn would put a little more of their original and amazing styles in the tunes. It was very admirable that they tried to cop the original HH vibe and style, but I actually would have preferred that they 'update' those tunes a little more.

Don't get me wrong, it was very good... just not necessarily great, like I was expecting.
  13. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Different strokes....;)
  14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    man, i hope this starts making the trader circuit soon. i gotta hear one of these shows. i didnt think matt garrison had the funk on that live herbie dvd and if marcus is playing a P bass it sounds like hes going for authenticity.
  15. wait, herbie hancock? really? What happened to Robert Walters?
  16. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I saw Herbie/Headhunters w/ Paul Jackson around 75 0r 76 in Milwaukee and they were awesome! Paul has always been a favorite of mine.

i saw Mike Clark's Prescription renewel a few years back--Paul jackson, Bill Summers, Larry Goldings, Fred wesley ad a sax player who's name eludes me--dynamite show--funky to the nth degree.

I'm not real familiar w/ Marcus, but Herbie has a history of putting together some awesome groups--I was a little surprised by 2 guitarists in the lineup--herbie usually has none (except wah wah watson, if i remember)

I'd love to see this tour if they get anywhere near here.
  17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Mike Clark's Prescription renewel ....LOL great name :D
  18. If you want a more modern version Matt Garrison and Terri Lynn do Butterfly and Chameleon a more updated way on a Future2Future Live Dvd ive watched, but its not a full headhunters set obviously.
  19. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    ok the headhunters were in ann arbor a few nights ago. i didn't go because i've seen em a few times, it was a week night, and i was busy.

but please don't tell me herbie and marcus were at that show. :eek:
  20. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

Herbie Hancock is the Headhunters. And yes, Marcus was there too.