1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig Report - Interstate Exiles @ The University House - 12/01/2018

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by SWRnut, Dec 10, 2018.

1. SWRnut

SWRnut Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    If you read my gig report from 11/30/2018, we got home around 4:30 am and here is a photo of the weather as I am pumping gas at 11:30 am on Saturday, December 1st, less than eight hours earlier.
    IMG_0126(1).
    Lots of rain forecasted all day, and around 48 degrees.
    We were scheduled to play at a tailgate facility called the University House for the USC/Marshall game on October 13th, but Hurricane Alice forced the game to be cancelled. We thought the gig was gone, but USC decided to play a post-season game against Akron and we got the call. Luckily, the date was open, but after playing the night before and arriving home pretty late, this one was shaping up to be sketchy.
    IMG_0133.

Really nice facility, but the bands perform upstairs. As I mentioned, this game was post-season, so only 30,000 seats were sold in a stadium that is normally at capacity of 80,000 plus. The parking lot for this venue was fairly empty, so we didn't anticipate much of a crowd, but really good pay. Just the load in.......
    IMG_0127.

Up to the second floor we go. You can see we left all of the road cases downstairs and took a minimal amount of gear with us. One of the guitarist's sons came with us to help with the stairs, plus our sound guy, so it wasn't too bad.
    IMG_0129(1).

My smallest bass rig ever. Line 6 G30 wireless into a Fender PT100 tuner and my Rupert Neve RNDI direct box. No amp, no speakers. In my ears and out front, I had a great tone, the drummer warned me not to ever again be in a situation where I didn't move air. Yes sir.
    IMG_0131.
    Minimalist setup dance for us. We did carry two subs, and two tops. One of the guitarists played through a single 12" and his regular head, while my other played a fly-rig and his pedalboard.
    IMG_0137(1).

And so it begins. We probably had 100 folks up there, that didn't want to brave the rain and cold, but there were lots of openings on the second floor for cool breezes and mist to drift in.
    IMG_0138(1).

At least the drummer brought his full kit, so we wouldn't look weak.
    IMG_0139(1).

Drummer's floor tom case and our microphone box posing as a bass rig.
    A & R.

Rick with his son joining in on guitar and backing vocals. He plays in a local metal band, but knows all of our tunes. Nice to have a strong back and additional back-up.

All in all, it was a great day. We only played 2 hours, got full pay and were out of there before six o'clock. A tiring but fun weekend. Followed by a weekend off.
    Until the next one, Keep it low.

Sore Thumb, Holdsg, BassCliff and 9 others like this.
  2. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Good deal having the gig resurrected. 100 people in attendance would work for me. :thumbsup:

At first I thought, the University of Southern California played a game against Akron? Then I realized it was the 'other' USC. :laugh:

SWRnut likes this.
  3. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Man, back in the day, we'd have schlepped all our gear up those freakin' stairs...GOOD JOB!!!

SWRnut and McG like this.
  4. Where did your drummer get that drum head with the tree on it? I have a kick drum that needs heads and something like that would be perfect.

5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

Oh boy. Stairs. You guys made the best of it. Nice work. I can't remember the last time I had to schlep up stairs. But my gear is small and light just in case.

I like doing IEM gigs with no amp. If everybody is using IEMs then it really should not be a problem. But Arnie likes to use only one ear bud so he can hear the stage. I keep telling him you're not supposed to use them that way. But what do I know? I'm just the bass player.

How was your back the next day? :help:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Sore Thumb and SWRnut like this.
  6. SWRnut

SWRnut Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    His wife gave him a "custom" head a few years back. I'll try to find out the site. He picked out the image and customized it. He refuses to put the band's name on his kick, because he says that always ends a band.

7. SWRnut

SWRnut Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    What back ?

BassCliff likes this.