1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig Report - Joebarnes with Whiskey Karma at the Roxy Vancouver Oct 1, 2017

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Joebarnes, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    First attempt at a Gig report, so go easy on me – BassCliff sets such a high standard for all of us to live up to. Anyhow, October 1, my band Whiskey Karma was offered the opening slot at the Roxy here in Vancouver. The Roxy is, of course, notorious as being the cause of the “Roxy Flu” for visiting hockey teams, and was partially credited for helping the Vancouver Canucks defeat the Chicago Blackhawks a few years ago during the Stanley Cup playoffs. The Canucks didn’t make it all the way to drink from the cup, but they did ‘Slay the Dragon’ as the announcers put it when Burrows scored in Overtime of Game 7 in April of 2011.

A pic of the Roxy

Sunday nights are currently “Country Nights” at the Roxy, and as we are a Modern Country band, we were able to finagle an invite to open for a couple of other bands. The Roxy is a joint I’ve been hankering to play for a long time, and Becca, our harmony vocalist also has dreamed of playing at the Roxy, so this was shaping up to be a special show for the band. We play mainly original tunes written by myself, as well as several written by the drummer (cue joke about what the drummer said right before they got fired….kidding, she’s a great songwriter). My drummer was feeling ill, so she asked me to drive her minivan, a Dodge Caravan (sorry, No Astro) downtown. Since I was not really feeling the desire to park my full size Dodge pickup downtown (Vancouver is the worst traffic congested city in Canada, and one of the worst in the world), I quickly agreed.

We were told that guitar amps were provided, but there was only a cabinet for the bass provided, so I had to grab my folding hand truck to transport my big ol’ SVT. Also had some band T-shirts and wrist bands for the merch stand packed up along with my Fender Jazz and of course my boots and (as my vocalist describes it) ‘beautiful’ hat.

My gear all stacked up "neatly"

One of our female vocalists asked for a ride as well, so 3/7 of the band piled into Jess’ van and we were on our way. Traffic in the HOV lane was not horrible, but we are talking about a Sunday. It would have been stop and go all the way from my home into Vancouver if it were Monday.

We arrived at the venue after hauling my SVT two blocks to be told they had a Gallien Krueger amp so I didn’t need mine. I’m not the biggest G-K fan in the world, but since it was ready to go, I stowed the SVT and ran with what was provided. They had an Ampeg Fridge as the cabinet, which was a pleasant surprise for me, since I traded mine a couple of years ago straight up for one of the new Ampeg 2x12AV’s. The 2x12 sounds pretty much the same as the 8x10, but my drummer says she prefers the fridge because it gets the bass up around her ears; I may have to save a few dollars and pick up another fridge one day if the right cab shows up on Craigslist. The other two bands sound checked and then we were given the opportunity to set up and test (since we played first).

Shot of the stage before the action starts

Load in was at 5pm, Doors were at 7, and we were sound checked by 6, so we zipped off in two groups to grab food (and of course, 1 group was to watch the gear). I was in the first group and we went next door to Roxy Burger. I asked the waitress to get them to put the burgers on right away, and 5 minutes later, we had a full meal of burgers and fries in front of us. I didn’t have a pic of the burger, but if you google Roxy Burger, that's what they look like. A decent burger for sure.

Back to the venue, and the doors soon opened at 7pm. Becca did a heck of a job rounding up our fans, and we had 25 people show up at 7pm for our show specifically to see us (They counted heads at the door and asked each person which band they were coming to see… pay was a split of the door based upon number of fans attending).

Chelsea and Becca taking a quick Selfie with the gig poster on the wall

We had a 43 minute set of mainly originals and 2 covers, ‘Wide Open Spaces’ by the Dixie Chicks and ‘Why haven’t I heard from you’ by Reba. Why haven’t I heard from you is my lead singer Chelsea’s favourite song and she brings it every time on that song, so we try to keep it in as many shows as possible. Jess later told me the monitor in her drum shield wasn’t working so she couldn’t hear much other than John, the lead guitarist’s amp. I was on the far side from her. Normally I set up next to her on the snare side, but there was the house keyboard set up there, so I ended up about as far away from Jess as I’ve ever been on a stage. She was trying to message me, but I really could only see her foot on the kick from where I was standing. Despite the challenges, she laid down a solid meter all night, and her and I locked in tight.

Chelsea and Becca having a chat on stage

Peter on Acoustic and John on Electric, both look very focussed

Becca singing and playing Banjolele, Aaron playing the keys and looking most contemplative

Chelsea is singing and Peter looks a little busy

Aaron pushing buttons, that Bass playing guy making his best attempt at a Bassface

After our set, I stowed my bass and grabbed a Molson for myself, and an Orange Juice for Jess because she didn’t want to mix Buckley’s and Beer, which is understandable. We sat down to listen to the next singer, who was doing an acoustic set. Her name is Lisa Nicole, a lovely country singer based out of Castlegar, about a 7 or 8 hour drive from Vancouver. Rounding out the evening was the headliners, Hillside Outlaws, an extremely solid band from the Okanagan.

All in all, a great first time playing at the Roxy. Next up is a gig in New West in November (we normally try to play around once a month live, so as not to burn out our fans). Becca messaged the band the next morning and advised us the promoter really liked the band and wanted to get us some better gigs, so sounds like the night was a big win on lots of fronts.

OCDave, nixdad, filmtex and 27 others like this.
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

Nice showing! It seems this club has it going on, somewhat, as far as infrastructure. Too bad your drummer didn't have a better mix. It's very challenging to perform live without a good mix. I'm glad to hear you and the drummer put in a solid performance despite the mix issues. Sometimes you just grin and bear it. I like camping out on the hi-hat side too. If we have to change our stage placement a good monitor is very important, essential. But then if you can't get it, the show must go on. Way to carry on!

Please tell your keyboard player that Merle Haggard never wore a hat like that. (Never mix plaids!) ;) I like the Zac Brown vibe your acoustic guitarist has going on. I love the look of your ensemble. I hope you guys gig as much as you want to. Fabulous report. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

nixdad, HolmeBass, digmeout and 4 others like this.
  3. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    Jess usually isn't behind a shield so that was a little different, but we've played with far worse mixes than what they had there. The venue has a very solid set up and the monitor for the drums was fine during sound check, so it was probably a 'malfunction' of some sort.

Aaron has a Jazz background, which is where he picked up the need for a Fedora. He brings so much to our sound that we let the hat slide ;).

Peter also sings lead on several songs for us as well as playing acoustic guitar. He brings a lot to the table (on top of the impressive beard of course)

Thanks for your kind words, we're enjoying every time we get on stage and will continue to play as much as we can.

4. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Very nice report. Cool venue. I like your look and instrumentation. By chance was any video shot? I'd like to hear some of your originals.

nixdad, dbase and Joebarnes like this.
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

We refer to those as 'gremlins' in the works. For some reason, the live performance always sounds different than the sound check. Every. Time. In theory, practice and theory are the same thing but in practice they're not. ;)

BassCliff

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    nixdad, dbase, pjbassist and 3 others like this.
  6. Very nice gig report! It must have been quite a rush to play such a legendary room (at least locally legendary). I've yet to see to a show there, but it's on the bucket list. A very nice color on your bass too. Thanks for sharing your gig.

7. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Seems like you folks had a great show.
    I love that 'Live Music Lives Here' poster on the wall...Thanks for the report!

8. Beamrider

Beamrider

Aug 24, 2007
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Great report buddy, loved it! Very nice venue and the icing on the cake - more gigs from the promoter! What's not to like? :)

9. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    Thanks! Yes, some video was shot; I'll post a youtube link once we get something up.

nixdad, Wisebass, dbase and 2 others like this.
  10. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    That's your theory, anyway. :woot:

11. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    It was definitely something on my 'bucket list' to play there.... Now I want to play there again ;) . The color is "Sonic Grey".... it is a very bluey-grey sort of colour and really looks good. I had my Red '95 Jazz stolen 6 months ago and this was the replacement. I prefer a little colour on my bass vs. black or white.

nixdad, dbase, pjbassist and 2 others like this.
  12. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    Gremlins? They were pretty quick if you bought one with the V8.
    gremlin.jpg
    (No, not my car ;) )

nixdad, Caca de Kick, McG and 4 others like this.
  13. Great report! Nice to read one from someone local:thumbsup:

nixdad, Sore Thumb and Joebarnes like this.
  14. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Thanks for the report. Between you and Cliff, the argument for playing country just keeps getting stronger.

pjbassist, BassCliff and Joebarnes like this.
  15. Good stuff, those girls are purty!
    What the heck is a Banjolele?! Is this a weapon of the future??!
    ;)

nixdad and Joebarnes like this.
  16. Excellent gig report, looking forward to hearing more from your band.

17. Amen to this brother! I'll add that sometimes, tuning is optional! Or at least feels that way.

nixdad, BassCliff and Joebarnes like this.
  18. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    A Banjolele is a ukulele sized banjo. It sounds like a banjo and is tuned like a uke. Becca has played uke for a long time so it was easy for her to adapt to playing a banjolele.

HolmeBass and Jimmy4string like this.
  19. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I used to have a banjouke. They are a trip to play. I still have a ukulele and want to integrate it into the KRB sometime, maybe to a 21 Pilots song. That would be a hoot.

BassCliff

nixdad, dbase, Joebarnes and 2 others like this.
  20. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Your drummer actually listens to you? That's a keeper!