1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig report J's UW last night for me in Outta Hand

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by WI Short Scaler, Dec 3, 2018.

1. So after many years of being the bass player and one of the singers in Outta Hand, last Friday was my last night.

The bar is one of the two in my little "town" of Kellner WI, about 1/2 mile from my house. Being in a small area like this and being one of the two watering holes there that still have live music we've always had fun nights and good crowds there.

The drummer and I have played together for 26+ years, pretty unheard of in musician terms I think. We started as Common Thread and changed to Outta Hand about 15 years ago after some lineup changes. He and I have been the only constants through all that time, and I think we counted 13 other members came and went in that time.

Why leave now? There are some of the usual reasons that plague bands, some personal and some personnel, that don't need re-hashing again. If you've been in/out of enough bands you know the usual gripes, bitches, and ego things that creep in. But another reason is my hands, osteo-arthritis in both of them. My ortho Dr calls it "wear and tear" arthritis, wearing away and loss of cartilage in both hands in the area of your palm where your thumb meets the rest of the bones of the hand. With loud amps, drums, etc, my playing style is naturally "harder" than in the other 3 pc group I'm in. This leads to some pretty painful "morning after's" especially in the left hand. Surgery may be in the future but for now I don't want to pursue that option.

They have scheduled a couple gigs going forward in my absence, but I'm already getting emails about how things were handled, all jobs that I formerly took care of. Business cards, posters, setlists, FB notifications and schedules, and I own all the lights and PA and run them both during shows. Someone else will have to pick all that up for them now.

I'll continue with Hijinx because I really enjoy that group more at this point in life. I still get to gig and make some $$ and a better atmoshpere all around. My priority was exiting Outta Hand while everyone was still friends, and I accomplished that. So it was a good run!

I'm over on the left there, just out of frame
    47238390_2161368903881341_7557920978030821376_n.?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent.feau1-1.

47450908_10216968140709398_3151464671853150208_n.?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent.feau1-1.

My daughters and guitarist's wife on the dance floor......
    47251016_10218649146286043_6214462238703484928_n.?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.feau1-1.

A little video, my daughters dancing to a song that was a hit before I'd even met their mom!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Sore Thumb, BassCliff, SWRnut and 5 others like this.
  2. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Congratulations on escaping with friendships intact. Too many times those are the casualties that make a bad situation worse.

Sore Thumb, McG and WI Short Scaler like this.
  3. The lead singer is my neighbor, like right across the street. His entrance to the group came about because we would sit around and strum our acoustics, old singer left and he got that spot.

The guitarist and I are 2/3 of the other group I'm in.

So I had some concrete reasons to not leave a swath of hurt feelings in the wake of leaving.

StayLow and McG like this.
  4. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Sorry about your hand issues but it's great that you are able to exit the project on good terms. AND that you have another outlet for music.

I'm also in that unusual club of having a long term band mate. The rhythm guitarist (and sometimes drummer) and I are in our 25th year.

Looks like you had a nice farewell gig. :)

5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

It's always sad to leave a band, or have to leave a band, no matter the reason. I hope your condition allows you to play as long as you want to. I'm sure we'd all like to see many more gigs from you. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff