1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig Report - LM-II vs PS600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

OK crew, so I had the opportunity to test the MB LM-II vs my new (to me) Epifani PS600 this past weekend @ a gig. Used my Epifani UL series I cab (loaded w 10's) and my Lakland DJ4.

For transport, the LM-II wins hands-down. It's smaller and lighter than the PS600 (16 lbs). Each have their advantages in features over each other: LM-II has the VLE and VPF filters, Epi has Mid Cut Level Adjust, Mute (footswitch accessible), DI out w/level, Pre/Post EQ select, ground lift, etc. So it's just a matter of which features suit you best.

Both heads sound great solo and in the mix. Both are very loud (LM-II may be a tad louder). For me, the PS600 sounds just a little better in the mix. It has just a bit more clarity, but without sounding thin or clanky. It's still smooth and tube-ish sounding. The LM-II just has a little more in the way of vintage tone to it (even with the VLE on zero). Just a tad more "fuzz" around it's tone. I'd also say that when both are set flat, that the LM-II pushes just a bit more lows. I actually cut the lows just a hair on the LM-II to get the similar frequencies going.

So for me, the PS600 edged the LM-II out by just a hair. I'm willing to carry a few extra pounds for the slight edge in tone in the mix. YMMV....

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Interesting.

Thanks for the review.

3. jkdahlman

jkdahlman Ambitious But Rubbish

Jul 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I noticed the same things when I A/B'd the LM II & Epi amps at Jive's. Now, if I could get a 902 in the MB size I'd be done.

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Now you're talkin John!!!!