Gig Report - Mike Barber Blues Band fill in gig - April 12, 2019

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by SWRnut, Apr 15, 2019.

1. SWRnut

SWRnut

Apr 21, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    I received a call from a friend of mine about filling in for his band at a small venue about a week ago, and since Interstate Exiles were off that night, jumped at the chance. I don't know about you guys, but I love fill in gigs. The night races by and I really have to concentrate on what I'm doing, especially working with a different drummer that I am used to. So the night begins.......
    MBBB.jpg

Nice ad above, but no saxophone, just two guitars, bass and drums. Oh and no jam session either.....Sheesh, where do promoters get this stuff.
    Really cool signage.
    MB1.jpg

This room was closed for about six months, and just reopened with new Chef and management.
    Here's the drummer setting up his kit. For those of you used to my regular rhythm partner in Interstate Exiles, I asked him where the rest of it was.
    MB2.jpg

Another view of his kit. Snare, trigger pad for his metronome, one tom and an electronic kick, high hat and one ride cymbal. It took him about five minutes to set up and if I wouldn't have been distracting him, even less.
    MB3.jpg
    My little corner of heaven and blues.
    MB4.jpg

Required rig of the night photo - Genzler head with my Schroeder 2 x 12. One trip from the car could get me spoiled.
    MB5.jpg

And last but not least a shot of the front of the stage. Sorry no pics of the performance. Maybe next time....... MB6.jpg

Tomorrow night (April 13), Interstate Exiles travels about 75 miles to a new venue on one of our state's lakes.
    Have a good gig !

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Cool. I love venues where the stage is visible from the sidewalk.

JimK and SWRnut like this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @SWRnut,

I got a call to play in a pick-up band recently, an afternoon gig at a brewery with some old friends I used to play with back in the day. I would've loved to play the gig but I was already busy. Drat.

Are there blues "standards" that everybody knows? Or were you reading chord charts all night? Or does the guitar player look at you and say "8 bar blues in A" and then counts it off? Or do you just have a lot of blues songs under you belt?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Sore Thumb and oldrocker like this.
  4. bherman

bherman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    There are some standards with unique figures and turnarounds (eg, Messing with the Kid, Little by Little, Cold Shot, etc) but most of the time when I play with a blues band its just the guitar player shooting me the key with hand signals and listening carefully/watching for cues.

5. SWRnut

SWRnut

Apr 21, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    It was a lot of that and more. They call themselves a blues band, but we played Allman Brothers, Blues Brothers, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Delbert, Keb Mo, Van Morrison. Big variety. I watched a lot of right hands.

Sore Thumb and BassCliff like this.
  6. SWRnut

SWRnut

Apr 21, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    You are absolutely right. We did play Messin' with the Kid in fact. Great tune. I was on my toes for sure.

kittywithabanjo and Sore Thumb like this.