1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig report: My Precision doesn't like me.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The Fender Precision-it's launched a gazillion rock songs, THE instrument of choice for lots and lots of players. I just can't coax what I need out of them. I've had several, I want to love them. Other people sound great playing them.. not me. I recently aquired a really nice one and last night was the maiden voyage.

I just felt like I wasn't pushing things along like I should! Operator error is the case I am sure. I used it every other set , but ended the night with my J bass.

2. When I pick up a P I always end up with a pick in my hand after a few beats. Together, they are potent, but finger-style I always go back to the J.

3. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    To each their own cup of tea. :)

For me it's the opposite. I can't get comfortable playing a jazz bass out.
    It's all between the ears.

4. You are correct. I was a Jazz Bass guy for the longest time. Bought a P bass and couldn't stand it, for months. But I eventually figured it out and now it's all I can play!
    Give it time. A lot of it has to do with what you are used to hearing vs. what you hear now. It's just different.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Time to experiment with different strings.

If you're playing flats, try rounds. if you're playing rounds, install flats.

6. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The TB'er I got this nice bass from actually had video of the bass and it was awesome! My guitarist said "you're puttin' it down already?" I told him no, I'm not giving up on it, just gotta learn to make it talk.

7. You betcha. It's just different. For example, don't try and make it 'burp' by playing near the bridge. Play directly over the pickup for awhile and see how that works for you.
    Another common mistake is to try and EQ the midrange 'thonk' out of it, in an attempt to make it sound smoother. Doing so takes all the punch and guts out of the sound. If you are used to a J, it doesn't sound 'right' for awhile, but it eventually does.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If it sounded awesome in a video, then the difference is some combination of technique and amplification (including EQ). You CAN get it right!

9. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Different strokes. I prefer a P for rock and roll. Finger style, pick, it's all good. J's sound too thin to me in the rock context. By the same token, I wouldn't go near my P if I wanted to slap and pop.

10. Also, adjustment of the split pup is key to proper tone. Too high, a bit bright, too low, it gets woofy. Not the right angles on the individual pups, the string to string tone is off.

11. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Not giving up!! Another gig tonight, we are going to get to know one another.

12. I bought a Precision 5 a couple years ago to go with my Lakland 55-94 because I just couldn't get that authentic P vibe from the Lakland. The Precision is now my main bass but, as mentioned, if I'm doing any slapping, I'm going straight to the Lakland.

13. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sometimes it takes a bit.

Think of it like a girl. You know she's a great girl, and you envied her last boyfriend...but maybe your first date with her was a little "uneasy". It was nice enough, and you definitely want a second (and third) date, but the unfamiliarity made the first date slightly awkward.

Relax, don't "think" so much, and just take it easy on your second date. It'll probably be a lot less awkward. Stop comparing her with your last girlfriend and accept her for the great girl she is.

:D

14. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    All basses have a bit of awesome in em. They just need a bit of coaxing. Like decent strings, cloth wrapped wiring, a good set up and some TLC.

15. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    A gig's not the best time to get acquainted with a new-to-you bass.
    A couple of weeks of practice at home and band rehearsals will get it sorted out.
    It's pretty hard to go far wrong with a P.

Personally, I don't get on too well with a P neck, and I like the Jazz shape better, but you can't deny that the P just works.
    I do prefer the P/J pickup configuration, it pretty much covers most of the passive Fender bass tones most folks will need.

16. The tone knob on a P is extremely responsive. Experiment. With the tone all the way open, you get this bright percussive sound and with it rolled all the way off, you get almost a "flats" sound.

Please do not give up. There are so many sounds at your fingertips. You just need to play around with it till you find your tone. :bassist:

17. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    This may sound silly, but have you tried moving your right hand in different positions? Over the pickup, towards the bridge, etc... It really affects the sound quite a lot. You may also want to try out different strings, even flats...and let's not forget eq settings on the amp and tone control on the bass. Between those variables there has to be a configuration you like.

Personally, I would have my bass and mids up say around 7, treble towards 3, tone control rolled off quite a bit, flats and I'd play right over the pickup.

18. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Ah, but then that is the ancient Chinese secret! No not Calgon, but learning how to make a bass talk through your hands!

Personally I loved each and every pbass, clone or pbass copy I have ever owned. I love the tone I got our of the SX P I just sold, but at the end of the day I simply love the sound out of any of my 5 jazz basses!

It just fits, you know? That then is the trick, to find your sound and make it your own.

19. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    If you do the Smiley EQ thing like most J players do, you may find that "inverting" the smile into a bit of a frown will do the trick.

I find that the mid bump eq works MUCH better with a P bass. Almost counter intuitive if you're a J bass player.

Try it in a mix. Works great for me.

20. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Normally, I'm a flat eq guy, adjusting to the room, etc.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020