Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gig Report: Slayer/Soulfly/In Flames

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sanctum, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Hit this show last night here in St. Louis. Here's a brief lowdown.

Opening band was Downthesun - total joke. Band had two singers, not really rap metal but close enough to it. Their sound was muddy and horrible. Two singers, and a "keyboardist" who just kept hitting one key to trigger loops - he sang too. Guitarist hit maybe two chords throughout the set. Bass player might have been ok, couldnt hear him. They said their album comes out in October, skip it :)

In Flames - really tight and great sounding. Bass player played a six string, but wasnt playing six strings, heh. My first time seeing them, and while I was never a huge fan of all their recordings, but seeing them live gave me a new respect. Unfortunately they only played for 1/2 hour.

Soulfly - I used to be a big Sepultura fan. I don't like Soulfly too much. Their music was boring and static, it pretty much all sounds the same - and they're tuned down so much, the mix was muddy. Its just mosh riffs with Igor telling the crowd to "jump! jump!", which of course they do. Entertaining but not great. Bass player did have a great distorted sound though.

Slayer - Well I've seen Slayer countless times, so I won't go into the set too much - very few new songs and a ton of old stuff! It kicked ass. Tom Araya's bass rig was nowhere to be seen on stage - maybe they hid it under the drum riser. His bass playing has really gone to hell over the years. I have old videos of them from the mid '80's when he finger played, and he'd be riffing right along with the guitars. Now he just roots out most of the riffs, and at times stops playing all together. Not that it matters, as you couldnt hear the bass anyhow. I guess he's a lead singer now :p Dave Lombardo was on drums which is killer - they have the best stage drum mix ever. Its been cool to see them over the years too - I think my first Slayer concert was in '84.

Overall a great evening with my bandmates and all the other local metal bands hanging out. Peace.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, I'm going to see that show Saturday in Worcester MA. I hope that first band doesn't show, and they give more time to In Flames.

3. Worcster!!! I lived there from '86-'92. Where are they playing there? Yea, you'll be lucky if its only three bands!

4. Jerry, Jr.

Jerry, Jr.

Jun 7, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Hey Blisshead, I too will be at Saturday's show in Worcester! This will be my 13th time seeing SLAYER! First time with Lombardo since "Clash Of The Titans" in '91. I had tickets to see 'em in Providence, RI back in January but my band ended up having a gig the same nite. Much as I love SLAYER, obviously my own band comes first. Should be a great show!

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, should be fun! What's your bands name?

DiN, it's at the Palladium, I believe. (My tickets at home on the fridge, but I'm pretty sure that's right.)

6. Jerry, Jr.

Jerry, Jr.

Jun 7, 2002
    Boston, MA
    My band's name is Is It Jazz. We go by the initials I.I.J. though because we're not a Jazz band, we're rock and people get the wrong impression by our name. I don't know about the name 'cause I just joined the band last December and they had already been together since '98 or '99??

Anyhow, we do have a website and some shows coming up. Our next two are Aug. 25 at the Center for Arts in Natick and Aug. 31 at Good Times in Somerville. Both shows are $5. If you're around, come check 'em out and say "hi"! Our live shows are a lot of fun and very high energy.

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, I'll keep an eye out for you.

8. i kinda like soulfly, my brother is obsessed with soulfly/sepultura. From what I've heard from slayer, there bass isn't heard a whole lot even in the studio, although slayer covering "inagadadavita" is sweet.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Slayer is not a band you hear/see for bass, you are correct.