1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig report. Sort of... Definately low dollar band...

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Big Hoss, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

So a friend of mine is working with a newish (re-formed) band. I'm pretty bargain basement budget wise. But these guys took it to a whole new level. For better or worse... Well they put on a private party show I helped them out with a couple of days ago, and here's the report as it were...

Lead Guitarist: Using some pawn shop Ibanez, and a 60 watt 1x12 Peavey from the 1980s most likely. He paid $100.00 in a pawn shop for both.
    Rhythmn Guitarist:pawn shop affinity strat, and used, REALLY beat Fender Champion 40.
    Bass: 1970s or early 1980s Hondo (?) P bass copy he's had since he was a kid. No real cost there. Crate BX100 combo amp. Probably has $100.00 in that rig.
    Drummer: Pawn Shop Pearl drum kit. He reskinned it. Between purchase cost, reskinning, and replacing broken / missing hardware / adding sticks etc... He's the biggest spender here at about $300.00
    PA: Begged borrowed, and / or stolen. Not mine, but a pair of Harbinger V2112s, Behringer mixer, and Behringer dynamic mics.
    Stage lighting / effects: Borrowed this time. mine. (See my details if you are interested).

Yes there was a lot of futzing getting things dialed in, but once they got to playing everything worked better than expected. I was worried the bass players Crate, same amp I used to own (make and model, not the same exact unit), wouldn't quite cut it volume wise, but it was fine.

Venue: Friendswood TX, private block party. The "stage" was a makeshift pallets and plywood riser in the organizers front yard. Volume levels were kept appropriate for the venue, no angry neighbors or police officers having to shut it down, and aside from the air being far brisker than we expected, and having to play under an EZ Up due to intermittent rain all went really well. The audience was about 200 people, lots of dancing going on, and neighbors getting to know each other on a more social level. Aside from the kids the adults ages ranged from on the low end I'd say 35 and up. There was one older gent that was milling about that could have easily been a WW2 veteran, he either was, or looked like he was well into his 90s...

What this gig proved to me, or really reinforced to me, is that with proper setup, use, and maintenance, you don't need to pour your life savings into your gear, unless you want to, to have great sound and your audience having fun!

kesslari, mcnach, ak56 and 15 others like this.
  2. andawun

andawun

Jul 13, 2009
    Agreed!!!

3. Big Hoss

Another one. This past Friday my wife and I went to see I am They at an open air concert. The pre-show entertainment was a DJ running through a really nice set of QSC powered mains, and it couldn't have possibly sounded worse... I mean horrible, garbage, distorted mud. It is possible that the mains they were using were tired and had, but it just didn't seem like it. More of a sending a muddy signal to the mains...

Medford Bassman likes this.
  4. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I own QSC gear. If you send it mud, it will faithfully reproduce it.

drummer5359, pcake, Big Hoss and 3 others like this.
  5. Big Hoss

Why yes, yes it will. My point was about the bigger issue being one of proper use of the equipment making more difference than the gear. I am sure a top user can get more out of higher quality gear, but expensive gear with a ham fisted user isn't a lick better than cheap gear.

Wasnex likes this.
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    7DD34873-8158-4724-A83D-8683AE6D7791. If the gear isn’t bad enough to get in the way, then yeah it will work. ... and really, unless the music sucks to point where the partiers can tell, they are there for a good time and not necessarily being real critical ... so yeah it can be done.

personally, I want an instrument that inspires me when I pick it up. And a PA that presents well beyond the current need. ... If I had to invest to get there, so be it...

Pic above is of John Mazzacco. Cascade Blues Association Bass Player of the year when I took this pic. Funky as 3 day old socks. Rockin’ a Squire P... and a totally pro level setup and strings no doubt. So there ya go.

LiquidMidnight and Big Hoss like this.
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    0466D010-0A45-445A-8905-0A7196170C36.
    The above said... when it comes to handling crowd, it takes gear AND knowing how to apply it. This was somewhere around 2000 in attendance. Families in the park.

There is gettin by. There is kicking @ss.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    LiquidMidnight and Big Hoss like this.
  8. Big Hoss

Nice crowd! My typical is under 200...

No need for a sledge hammer to drive finish nails...

9. I used to work for a sound company. In the band I was in at the time we got a surprise gig, but had NO gear. I went to the warehouse, and started searching. I grabbed the milk crate we would put questionable mic cables into. I also grabbed mic stands from the "repair" pile. A couple of mics here and an extension cord or two there and some beat up JBL Eons and we had the stuff to rock. All of it was stuff that was just laying around that never got used anymore, and I wasnt even sure would work. We rocked that night. Luckily everything worked great, but looked awful.

I still use a couple of the stands and cables.

BnB

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  10. Amen!. I get so tired of the gear snobs who post regularly here who think their expensive equipment makes them somehow superior musicians. I'd much rather see a good musician playing inexpensive gear any day than vice versa.

I'm in the fortunate position of being able to afford whatever the hell equipment I want. My stuff isn't the lowest end by any means but it isn't several thousand dollar boutique stuff either. My band mates have never given me anything but kudos on the sound/look of my stuff regardless of what brand it is. If it sounds good and plays well what difference does it really make, other than to someone's ego I suppose?

11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Crappy gear run perfectly will typically sound better than awesome gear that is abused so extravagantly.

A common misunderstanding with many DJs is you lose power if you don't run the mixer levels all the way into the red. I would classify the problem as operator error.

12. Big Hoss

My point exactly. Most DJs I have seen seem to have no clue...

Wasnex likes this.
  13. Agreed about gear snobbery. I started playing around age 13 and my gear was super cheap but I had a blast playing. Now I work in pro audio where I use all kinds of shiny toys and have about half as much fun.

14. Most DJ's really don't. A DJ came to the venue I work at for an event and wanted to use his QSC 10's over our 30,000 watt line-array.

15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I'll take listening to an incredibly clipped QSC K10 over an incredibly clipped 30kW line array any day :D.

16. In this guys defense he did know not to redline his mixer. I guess he has a bit of a clue.

Wasnex likes this.
  17. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Dang you found a bona fide "A-lister" :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. Hope you got his card ;).

Govier966 likes this.