1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig report: Summer concert in Groton NY (Fender Rumble content)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by alanloomis1980, Aug 9, 2019.

1. We played a summer concert in a small neighboring town. It was in the parking lot behind the American Legion. We had a mobile stage on a trailer. There were lots of picnic tables and motorcycles. We played all the country tunes we knew. Burgers and dogs available in the concession stand. Any beer with "light" on the end of the name available inside.

My main point in this story is to share my first gig using my 2x Rumble 100 stack:
    20190809_171708.

Some may have read about the last minute decision to bring the drum set, instead of the cajon like usual.

Well, I tell ya- this rig killed it!! It was loud, fat, punchy, and clean. Kept up with the drummer perfectly. Quiet when I played lightly, matched his volume when I dug in. Bass volume was at probably 8/10 and master @ 11:00- so room for more volume if ever needed. I was so happy.

Only 2 minor troubles on this gig;
    -the mobile stage shook when the drummer dug in. I got a little seasick (not really, but it was weird.) :vomit:
    -10 minutes before we ended it started sprinkling. We played "have you ever seen the rain" and.... it DUMPED! luckily we were minutes from done, but we had to scramble to pull the stuff to the center of the stage!:help:

So all in all an excellent night! :)

PS; I did not get a burger. I got a Labatt. It was not light.

Drummer getting into the zone:
    20190809_171720.

Best time for a photo- in between songs:
    IMG-20190809-WA0001.

Peace!

2. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    Awesome gig report! You new rig looks sweet and hopefully you were able to get it out of the rain in time!

3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

A gig on a wobbly trailer, now *that's* some summer fun! :D

Your rig looks killer. :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

4. Damn.. those rumbles look sweet stacked like that! Nice one

GonePlaid and alanloomis1980 like this.
  5. We had enough warning and enough help to pull it under cover pretty quick. Luckily no more gigs this weekend, so everything can just dry in the garage for a while.

6. Right??? Having the top one up high is like a gut punch of sweet bass sound!

Sore Thumb, JPaulGeddy, G-Dog and 3 others like this.
  7. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Uh-oh - SHORTS!!! (Just kidding.). I'm not a big fan of Rumbles, but looks like you had a nice sounding rig, there. Nice bass, too! Thanks for the post.

8. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Ya need one o' these:No wobble.
    [​IMG]

9. Dusty Elmer

Dusty Elmer

Feb 11, 2018
    Clinton, NY
    Nice looking rig, and I bet it sounded as great as it looks.

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I've done gigs on stages like that. That's when you decide to mingle on the ground with the crowd while you play.

11. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Alan

Great to see that it worked! Nothing beats a good vertical stack!

Next time play "Good day Sunshine! :D

It won' t help with the weather, but at least folks can' t say it' s your fault! :laugh:

cool gig report! :bassist:

Thx for sharing!!! :thumbsup:

Wise(b)ass

12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Veddy Groovy. YES! :woot: :bassist:

13. mark286

mark286 Proud to be a Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Central New Jersey
    Nice gig report. The Rumble stack looks great and it doesn't surprise me that it sounded great too.

My sister-in-law lives in Groton. It is a beautiful part of the Finger Lakes region for sure. God's country we like to say.

alanloomis1980 and Sore Thumb like this.
  14. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    gosh, I have one rumble 100 in a recording studio up 4 flights of factory stairs, it was so easy to transport, but the double looks like an ideal!

15. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    How do you wire them up??

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  16. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    Yes, how did you make the pair of Rumble 100s work?

17. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    As others have said, Great Looking Rig! No doubt that it kept up :) Good call on the Labatts!

On the mobile stages, I have more issue with the flexibility of the stage, (springiness of the plywood), than side to side motion. For some reason, that small amount of "give" takes a toll on my back and knees!

-robert

18. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for the memories, Fender equipment and trailer gigs! I really, really want to try a Rumble!

19. jblock

jblock Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    Bass straight into your rig. Love it. I have a bunch of effects, but most times just go straight to the amp or board.

20. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I know it's cool to blame the drummer and all, but I think it was your Rumble that made the stage rumble! :wacky:

Still, great story. It's amazing how smaller rigs pack a huge wallop nowadays. People used to snicker at my "pee-wee rig" (GK Fusion 550 head through two Bergantino 1x12s) until we played. My amp volume would be at 9 o'clock and everyone's reaction would be "[expletive deleted] that puppy is LOUD!!!!" Most of the time I only needed 1 cabinet, and I played in an alt-metal band with a heavy hitting drummer and two loud guitarists. (I recently traded that GK for a Peavey MiniMax so now my pee-wee rig is even more portable.)

Oh yeah, some of my favorite shows with my previous band were in upstate New York. I've played in Ithaca, Owego (between Binghamton and Elmira), even once in Fulton (on a very rickety outdoor stage), but most often up in the Syracuse area. People would come out in droves to see live music, and were always the most gracious hosts.