1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig report! Westy, Ithaca NY, 4/12/19

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by alanloomis1980, Apr 12, 2019.

1. My first go at writing a gig report! Here goes... We played this cool little faux-dive tonight. Here are some takeaways:

-2 guest musicians sat in with us, A singer and a harp(harmonica) player. They are both great musicians and all around nice guys. Made the gig exciting, fun and very enjoyable. We are usually a 3 piece, not strangers to guests, but it is always refreshing and helpful to have some more voices up there.

-there was a local bass player in the audience (whom I had met before) and BL calls him up to play a tune. I was thrilled to go and sit in the audience and listen to my rig. I tell ya, it sounded great! Talk about a GAS killer ;)

-played my squier standard p bass for its 2nd gig. I've been debating redoing the electronics in this bass, but that was pretty much deemed unnecessary since it sounded so good! Also, I've learned I dont care for the J pickup. I have been dialing a little in since its there, but was reassured tonight that the P alone is the pickup for me.

-just put my first set of DR sunbeams on this bass a week ago. Super fat and smooth. I think I may have a new favorite string!

-2nd gig using a little block to tilt my amp up an inch or so. Man is that helpful!

-great response from the crowd. Always nice to have an audience member carry around the tip jar! :D

-on the way out, the guest singer said, "nice gig. You're a true professional. " :cool:

All around, a super fun gig with lots of great feedback and reassurance. Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Sore Thumb, SWRnut, nixdad and 18 others like this.
  2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

And so it brains!

Congratulations on a successful first gig. :):thumbsup:

nixdad, alanloomis1980 and ErikP.Bass like this.
  3. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Sounds like fun! Don't see many (any?) harp players out there usually.... By any chance did you get some video?

nixdad and alanloomis1980 like this.
  4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Cool deal! Glad to hear your P-Bass Special and new strings worked out so well for you! :thumbsup:
    Do you think you might take it out of the wiring harness (or perhaps install a switch a la the MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Specials to isolate one pickup at a time) or does simply rolling the bridge off to 0% do the trick?

5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Sounds pretty cool.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

6. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Where are the pictures or gig never happened ;)

nixdad, oldrocker, Spidey2112 and 3 others like this.
  7. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    I'll have to remember that 1" block trick!! (Oh, wait...I'm not in a band.)

8. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Always nice to get a compliment from your peers for time to time. Nice work. :thumbsup:

9. Thanks... but I meant "first time writing a gig report" rather than "report of my first gig." I see where you got that, edited for clarity!

Haha, i mean mouth harp, as in harmonica. I guess that's what happens when you write the gig report late night after the gig! :woot:

Sounded good to me as is! Just turning it down seems to do it. It crossed my mind to disconnect the J, but seems excessive and unnecessary.

Lol, I was hoping that only applies to NBD. :whistle:. I put out some feelers to see if anyone got some.

MattZilla and Malak the Mad like this.
  10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Well congratulations either way. A first is still a first, right? :laugh::thumbsup:

11. I'm impressed that you had a harmonica player sit in who you wanted to play!
    Glad it went well. And please include pictures in the future, especially food shots for dbase.

alanloomis1980 and JRA like this.
  12. Ithaca is a cool place. @alanloomis1980, have you ever been to the Finger Lakes Grassroots Festival in Trumansburg?

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Yeah, without pics it's just a story! :laugh:

14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

hey, another cool gig report............................i don't see the pics.............................where are the pretty girls.........................food pics?

..............i guess it was a blast.................

;)

15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

just kidding, OP: glad things went well for you! :thumbsup:

16. He's been vetted ;) this is his 3rd or 4th gig with us.

Noted on the pics!

dbase and pablomago like this.
  17. Have not! Looks cool, I'd love to check it out. This is only my 2nd year in Ithaca

Pet Sounds likes this.
  18. As the tourist promotions say, Ithaca is gorges!

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  19. Theres a few spoofs on it too, my favorite is "ithaca taxes gorge us" :laugh:

pablomago likes this.