1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig Review: Makeshift Funk in Denver at Herb's 2/23

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Altitude, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Small gig report, I don't aspire to the @BassCliff level of documentary.

Great gig with Makeshift Funk at Herb's in Denver last night.

mnaGEyA9hp0mhP0J8huuRgjh1XSPgjKrfaejNXa4lvEkAzsQcJMduFMaHmVq5UR5um6oti7-oJCs4Yx7ibA=w520-h693-no.

Herb's is a challenging bar. It's tiny; the entire stage/dance floor room is smaller than many people's living rooms. Like many bars, the room is deep and narrow with the bar in the front, lengthwise, and the stage in the back. The whole place smells like feet and the men's room is best avoided.

At Herb's the stage points sideways, so you're blasting sound at a mirrored wall about 14 feet away from you. Yet, they have FOH. The mirror is a bit odd too; you might have to avoid watching yourself play if the room isn't crowded.

But somehow it is a tier-1 music venue in Denver; the management is pretty careful about whom they book and they promote well. The owner is herself the bandleader of a first-call horn/jazz group in Denver. I've probably played at Herb's more than any other venue here, across a few bands.

The rig tonight was my two Eden 210XST cabinets with a Mesa D-800. I just got the Mesa and this was its first gig; I also brought the MB Fusion in case the Mesa didn't make it through the night. It did.

The Mesa is an interesting pairing with the Eden cabs. It's a little more ballsy and a little less forward-sounding than the GK. Neither better or worse in my opinion, just different. The Eden cabinets are very midrange-forward. I have my tone goal pretty dialed in with then using the GK; it may take me a few gigs to figure it out with the Mesa. Mostly in terms of where I want the "voicing" knob setting; it seems to be a pretty musical adjustment and not just a scoop knob.

I have a couple Audiokinesis Changeling cabinets on order that will cut my rig weight in half; I can't wait to get them in because each of those Edens weighs about 60 pounds.

tdGV30sdm3xsufSWbkFcjEV3ICopDKESrjOJ3d168_VuQjNfw7K6LlGzcl3Sj272KbhN856c9OJzF_RT7Gw=w520-h693-no.

Bass of choice last night was my red Skjold, which didn't make it into any pictures - but here it is in the studio with its brahs:

yO8g1ItaqVnofgP6EFzivwkUVQ4Qw5lmw-fvQ6dTUdlea8LdR7NbzIVycCSNOk-3Ls6WhHCq-NdB6HT5CJg=w924-h693-no.

At Herb's, you often play in front of a wall of people mere feet (inches?) away from you, including many beautiful people enjoying all the amenities on offer in Colorado (ahem). I took this picture after the second set; the crowd had in fact thinned by about 20% by the time I grabbed my phone. The problem with being the bass player is that you can hardly ever put down your instrument to pick up the camera for a candid.

StuQSzgjssm8qzzVpRHrktkrFOFnUwoTkaddaFYWIflbdlihR0B0exYv2-aJNpxF87YQ_0Lvi4UsgDKUpkQ=w924-h693-no.

It's nice to play to a full room, though the downside in a room this size is that we have to case our instruments between sets. There is just too little distance, too much alcohol, and too much temptation to leave any guitar sitting on a stand, least of all a $4500 Skjold.

We did have an old guy in a veteran's baseball cap fall over onto the keyboard stack and knock it over after set 1. I didn't see it happen but all the gear survived, as did the veteran.

Obligatory selfie. That's big Kyle on guitar behind me; he's a real pro. I guess the Skjold did make it into the shot, a little.

PxQabW68NfSZ6j-1wr-tvjsDmLzNmPH1nEQ7PgXvI0tSzS_T4pzHkgthAhs8U7JwawBxzIpuBsORSP31Qvw=w520-h693-no.

I happened to be on a 5AM flight back home out of Pasco, WA yesterday morning and so by the time I took this picture I had been up about 21 hours. I look a little tired but felt good.

The hat, by the way, was the product of a survey. I approached a gaggle of pretty girls before the gig and modeled with and without. They chose "with;" I wasn't sure whether to be offended about what they thought of my hair. Probably they didn't want to see the gray temples to be reminded that their booty-shaking came courtesy of a 46 year-old. Or maybe they just liked the hat.

The band sounded great; we have a 3-piece horn section on top of the rhythm and keys. It's an all-cover setlist, probably one third horn funk standards, one third 80s and current dance hits, and one third dealer's choice.

Come see us if you are in Denver sometime.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  2. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Very nice report! Great crowd. I love the intimacy of small rooms. We play a micro-venue regularly too but it's never been that crowded. Thanks for sharing!

nixdad and Altitude like this.
  3. mike o

mike o Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Monroe, GA
    Thanks for posting up. Can you share the set lists?

Altitude likes this.
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Hey! This is very nice! Thanks for sharing! You're a good man.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

5. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Sure.

SET ONE
    Soul Intro (from the Jaco birthday concert)
    Treasure (Bruno Mars)
    Jenny 8675309
    Just What I Needed
    I Want You Back
    You Should Be Dancing
    Get Jiggy With It
    Stayin’ Alive
    Uptown Funk
    Jungle Boogie

SET TWO
    Are You Gonna Be My Girl
    Rock The Casbah
    September
    Give It To Me
    Sweet Caroline
    Take On Me (ska version)
    Short Skirt, Long Jacket
    Cake By The Ocean
    Canned Heat (Jamiroquai)
    My Own Worst Enemy
    Play That Funky Music

SET THREE
    Love Me Again
    Working For The Weekend
    Get Down On It
    Go (Chemical Bros)
    Joker
    Shut Up & Dance
    Can’t Stop the Feeling OR Rapper’s Delight
    The Impression That I Get
    Tonight Tonight
    Use Me
    Don’t Stop Believin’

6. mike o

mike o Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Monroe, GA
    Thanks for sharing. Great set list!

7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Great gig report. You are brave bringing in your Skjold bass in a tiny venue like that.
    Serious bass cabs there, I use an XST 2x10 also.
    I bring my beater bass in small venues, also case the axe during breaks, no room for a guitar stand.
    Oh, the poopie we go thru for a Gig.

nixdad likes this.