1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig review of a SX 57 P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHaven, May 2, 2006.

1. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Well, it has been awhile since I've posted something that could actually help somebody, so I figured I would write this. Maybe this one would be better in the Megathread? If a mod feels so, they can move it if they like.

Anyway, I played 2 gigs last Friday and Saturday. My Ibanez had been giving me problems, so I borrowed this SX from a friend's brother.

First Thoughts (before plugging in, hearing it, etc)
    This neck is CHUNKY. Its chunkier than standard Fender P-bass necks. More neck from top to bottom compared to the Ps I had played at GC earlier in the week. The "aged maple" sort of board, looks odd but it looks better than any of the rosewood models I've seen.

When I first picked it up, I grabbed it up by the nut. YOWCH! The nut edges are sharp! Not something that affects playability, but I figured it was worth mentioning. Overall the bass feels solid, but you don't feel scared to really play it, and rock out.

SOUND
    These pickups are HOTTTT! Much more output than my active Ibanez. I switched in the middle of a set (we were running our own PA, and didn't bother with a sound check much) and when I plugged the P bass in I was playing ove the pup. This started clipping my preamp like mad, so I had to turn down the gain and experiment with the EQ alot. I've never played alot of p-basses but I know they have the balls for hard rock. This bass is still on the factory set up and strings, and it sounded suprisingly good. The only problem I had with the setup is that the E string was much weaker than the the A. It definetly gets clicky playing over the Pick up and I had to be aware to move to playing over the neck when I really wanted to dig in. With the tone knob down, it sounds very full and bassy. Tone knob up, very in your face, which isn't my style really.

Finger vs Pick tone
    The finger tone over the bridge is great, but with a pick, over the pick up it gets that great punk tone. Good attack,

This bass is great for the gigs where you need a back up, or something new, or just afraid to take out the good bass. Very sturdy and sound just fine with a band.

2. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Sounds like most everything you mention could be cured with a proper set up.

As to the size of the neck... It's slightly slimmer than a real '57 or '62 that they are based on, but a little chunkier than a new Fender.

I gig my SX constantly, and these things are pretty much bullet proof.

Glad to hear you had a good experience with an SX. Give it a good set up and you'll like it even more.

3. Calif De Funk

Calif De Funk Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Sweden
    I tried this bass and liked it A LOT. The feel of the neck, the finish, the sound... , just about everything was really good. They come with a real nice HC at least here in Sweden.