1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig Rig power supply - anyone familiar?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dlenaghan, Jan 18, 2012.

1. So someone mentioned this in passing on an earlier thread where some of us were trying to sort out a power supply that had good flexibility, lots of amperage, and so forth..

Anyone familiar with it? (Product page here..)

Seems like an absolute dream come true.. almost too good to be true. Here's a review from an endorser (I guess).. I can't find much else besides their website and there are limited supplies available, so it seems that whatever they're making has the attention of somebody..

Ramon Goose Gig Rig power demo

The setup I'm looking at would run just over 300USD. The next best thing, I think, is called the Juice Box - also pricey, but bigger, bulkier, and heavier, although with some switchable sag circuits, whatever those are.. :bag:

2. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    they're kinda the top of the line, super boutique power setup. really good stuff from everything i've heard.

i've never used them, but they're s'posed to be insanely good. if i had a bigger/weirder setup i'd probably give them a go.

3. Damascus

Damascus

Aug 9, 2008
    What would be the advantage of this over a couple of One Spot supplies and a surge protector?

4. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    lol. good vs bad basically.

with One Spots, while useful in a lot of situations, they're all being powered from the same source. noise and interference can happen. some pedals don't play well being daisy-chained too.

it's a very different setup to have isolated outputs. can solve a lot of problems.

plus, there's a BUNCH of higher draw/DC powered pedals that won't work with a One Spot.

5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    If the daisy chain fails near the start of the chain, it'll take everything else out with it. With isolated outputs, or the gigrig distributor, if one of the power connector leads fails, everything else should still work and you can simply remove the offending pedal, rather than lose the entire pedalboard for the remainder of the gig.

Believe me, I've experienced this when an idiot stage invader crashed the stage and stood on my pedal board and broke the daisy chain cable. Had to bypass it for the rest of the gig.

Plus, there's only so much power you should draw down a daisychain before the chance of failure increases. I have a couple of gig-rig 9v-12v adaptors for my two TC pedals. I initially used them on a daisy chain in combination with my 1500ma PSU. Would work ok for an hour or so, then for some reason, one of the TC pedals (the higher current drawing one) would suddenly fade away and switch off. I had to turn the PSU off at the wall for 10 mins and then start again. After emailing Daniel at gig-rig he informed me that daisychains should only be subjected to about 1000ma before failure sets in, so I replaced the daisychain with their distributor and I haven't had a problem since. BTW, I'm using this with a 'johnnyshredfreak' 1500ma psu, not the gig-rig generator - much cheaper, and works fine.

6. Some players like to use batteries that are half-dead in certain pedals, because it alters the tone in a way that they find pleasing. This is a way to emulate that- throw a switch and the voltage drops to less than 9V- say, 5 or 6V. I don't know the actual spec.

7. TMFoodBass

TMFoodBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Adamstown, PA
    None
    I know this is kind of an old thread, but has anyone use The Gig Rig's Isolator? Can that only be powered with their generator, or can it be powered with any 9V adapter?

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I imagine any 9v adaptor. I use the Diago version to power a vintage reverse polarity fuzz on a daisy chain. Also works well to isolate noisy digital pedals that leak high pitched noise into the rest of the chain when hooked up.

9. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I use their Generator/Distributor setup and I love it, 0 complaints or issues. You've got 5000 mA on tap and each cable is cut to length (and reusable) – very classy looking.

Their YouTube videos have a lot of good info and tips and they're also really responsive and helpful when contacted. I met their commander-in-chief Daniel at NAMM and he was super cool, very humble. Their G2 switcher is also pretty sweet (PGS recently did a demo and apparently Andy was a little hesitant to send it back because he was so impressed.)

10. TMFoodBass

TMFoodBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Adamstown, PA
    None
    I spoke with someone at The Gig Rig and they said that while the Isolator is designed to work with the Generator, it will work with a 9v adapter like the 1Spot powering it. The main concern is that the Isolator itself draws 500mA. That might limit the draw that is available for pedals pretty quickly. The 1Spot supplies 1700mA. So here's where I stand:
    1700mA - 500mA = 1200mA

Boss TU-2 -> 55mA
    Empress Multidrive -> 110mA
    Darkglass Vintage Deluxe -> 30mA
    Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master -> Unknown

1200mA - 55mA - 110mA - 30mA = 1005mA left for the dispatch master and other future pedals. Not bad.

11. Can you tell me more about this? Does it really work? Are you doing this?

The Isolator itself uses 500mA?!?! Sick!

I think a question is also whether the OneSpot really provides 1700mA.

12. TerribleLiar23

TerribleLiar23 GNSRZRSKNVS Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2011
    RTP
    Yes, it does.

13. Is this your opinion or based on test results?