Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gig Spam San Antonio 6/13-6/14

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NJL, Jun 12, 2003.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Hello, guys!

I will be playing my usual gig at Swig Martini Bar in San Antonio. We play about every three weeks, but I never said anything about before because of certain personnel.

Now we have new members in the band and we had our first gig with the new personnel last Saturday and we sounded pretty darn good.

We will be playing R&B and "lite" jazz at this place. Our singer is a groooover!

Swig's is a hip place that doesn't charge at the door.

Support all live music in San Antonio!

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I may see you there. I leave the 15th to go study with Lynn Seaton for a week at UNT, but Saturday is free.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Cool! It would be nice for you go and give me some advice....you would earn yourself a few beers!

:D

Have fun at UNT! :eek:

Our new drummer was at UNT for a couple of years, but that was a while back.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Bump #1

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I went down to SA in April, Pac told me about Swigs. Nice little place, but the stage is a bit odd though.

There was a band there with horn and keyboards. 3 pieces, the keys player doubled on another horn, was that you? Date would have have been April 22nd or 23rd?

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    that was probably joel dilley on bass (fellow lefty), cecil carter on keys/trumpet and david lucke on sax.

we don't do straight ahead at that place, we don't more lite funk and R&B.

your right, the stage is very, very weird!!

7. Thor

I dont think he was lefty, he had a 5 string bass, I didn't have a chance to talk to him as I had to leave before break time. Medium height, curlyish black hair, hispanic looking guy.

Great player, I had a lot of fun digging his stuff. Figured you six flag types would all know one another down there.

Edit:

I called there, it was Joel Dilley, send him my compliments if you run into him, he put on a nice show that night.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    joel and i are tight. great guy to work with. i will let him know. there was another guy that used to play there, Pete Ojeda - ask Pacman about him when you have a chance -- amazing player (too bad he's kinda not around anymore)

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bump #2

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    PM me about this, nojazz, has there been further developments?

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    The gig went very well. We flashed twice!!!!

12. Thor

I was sad that I couldn't attend the gig, but I changed my mind after hearing you flashed the crowd twice! :eek:

Thor

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i need to learn how to type better, what i was trying to say is that a chick flashed the band twice!!

:D

14. Thor

I think I was misquoted before!;)