1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig = summer job?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MaxZolt, Mar 17, 2008.

1. MaxZolt

MaxZolt

Aug 21, 2007
    Westport, CT
    I'm a college student who is currently jobless for this coming summer, and I realized that an awesome way to spend my time (and hopefully make some money) would be to join up with a band looking for a bass player and play some gigs.

My question to you is: are bands usually receptive to this sort of thing? Basically, do you think some groups (I know every band is different) would be ok with me joining on at the end of May and leaving at the end of August? I would obviously let them know that it was a temporary thing.

2. yeah, just do some temping, but you have to realise that you may have onew eek with 7 gigs and another with nothing. Not many bands would be looking for short term replacements but i could be wrong!

3. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    You might find a fill-in gig if you're skilled enough to pick up stuff quick. I wouldn't depend on it unless you had a few connections. Most groups I've ever tried out for want a permanent member, so the type of group you're looking for will be rare. I'm thinking odds are against it, but you might get lucky.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    You could always play the park, or a street corner. I often wonder how much those street musicians bring in in a day. I bet they don't do half bad.

5. I don't know where you are, but I did this many years ago at Kings Dominion in Cincy. Most big amusment parks have several summer "bands" that perform at various times. Very low stress, fun to do gig, if you can read music. Actually, that may not be required any more. My last summer was almost 25 years ago.

6. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Check into theatre summer stock gigs ..... depending on where you're located (helps if you fill out your profile ;)) you might be able to get a very steady summer stock gig. But your reading chops have to be good ..... :cool: