Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gig tested, 322

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by inazone, Apr 11, 2004.

1. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Just wanted to give some info about the bergantino 322. Ive been useing two berg 322s for a year now and they have been fantastic cabs. Ive had a little trouble finding "my" sound with them but every time I try another cab I keep picking the 322. Ive been playing modulus basses (5 string), eden navigator and aguilar db680 pre, qsc plx 3402. Ive been real happy with my tone for about the last 6 months and thought I was as close as one could get to the tone I wanted. This last weekend gig, when I got there, the bar told us they were having pa problems and they wanted me to use my cab to fill the sound and not put me into the pa. Its a large room and they had me crank it (useing the aguilar pre this time) and I had the cabs barking like a mo-fo. THE perfect tone. I had no idea I could get this tone. Berg cabs and aguilar pre are suposed to be smooth, hi-fi, tight and deep, wich is what I wanted, but I always thought they lacked a little bark. Not this time. I had the perfect blend between huge, tight low end, barking killer mids and smooth as glass, crisp high end with plenty of zing. Ive always been after an old school meets modern hi-fi tone and I think Ive nailed it. Ill keep the settings the same and try it in some more rooms to be sure, but right now Im one happy dog! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

2. congrats on your rig!! Life is always more fun, when your tone!!

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Indeed Jim makes some great speakers! Inazone - how do use your PLX amp? Do you usually use it in stereo mode or bridged? Do you ever have problems driving the power amp to full output?

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I run the 3402 in stereo, 1100 watts @ 4ohms ea side. Ive ran a 1602 bridged, 1600 watts @ 4ohms, and I realy cant tell much of a difference between 1600 and 1100 watts with the 322. I had an ashdown rpm1 pre and it didnt drive the 3402 as well as the eden or aguilar pre but it still pushed it fine. Aguilar said that 80 or 90% of the people use the passive switch, even with a active bass, unless you get distortion. Ive been using the ag this way with no problems and I think it drives the 3402 a little better than the eden. Could be EQ settings though. Anyway, Ive had no problems driving the 3402. I have the limeter 'on', the 30hz filter 'on' and I run the 3402 wide open. Its a great amp.

5. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thanks inazone! Ill have to try the Demeter with the 3402 to see if it can push it hard enough. Another question... have you ever needed/used both 322s on a gig? :eek: :bassist:

6. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I use two of them almost all of the time now. I dont know what it is yet, it might be the bands tone, but its not that loud on stage. Im in a rock/metal band and there are two and sometimes three 412 guitar cabs going. The guitarist have a switch that goes from 100 to 50 watts and he uses the 50 watt the most. He has a real nice rich, full tone thats not harsh or ear piercing, kinda like my bass tone. When we play in rooms with no pa the extra 322 gives the sound of running through a pa with subs, mids and horn. Thats what I like about berg cabs. Ive had sound men tell me thats the way a bass cab should be built, they have a pa sound but on stage as well. You hear the same tone on stage and out front. When we play large room like ecks and the buffalo rose its nice to have the second 322. I used to use a swr 8x8 and still could get by with it as far as volume, but ya, 90% of the time I use two 322s. Its kinda like having more watts in a amp for headroom.

7. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    No kidding... two 322s must sound huge! Be sure to drop me a PM next time you are playing the buffalo rose. Its not far from me and I would love to hear your setup!

8. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Will do. Let me know when you play out as well. You must not be far from me. Im in the morrison area, by red rocks.

9. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I also use a HT-322 with a Kern preamp and a QSC PLX-2402.. Great rig, but while on vacation last week I visited a store and tried my 322 with a HT-115.. It sounded great and I was using some Peavey head they had in the store... I may be adding that cab or another 322 in the near future...Also on Jim's recommendation I just tried my set-up tonight with a Crest CA-9 poweramp and what a difference it makes in the cab... Call Jim and ask him about this, he can explain the difference to you...

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    i-zone,

I would love to hear your rig at a gig as well.

The 322 really does take on a rawer, more agressive character the harder you push it. I love the Dem 201S & bridged PLX1602 driving it hard outdoors or in a fair-sized club -- so far, I've never used PA support).

I bet a pair of 'em are really sick!!!

Just out of curiosity, how do you orient the two cabs onstage?
    Side by side on casters, upright stacked vertically, on their sides stacked vertically?

Hypothetically, I bet any of the following would be killer as well (with something like a PLX3402):
    two HT310 (righteous)
    two HT210 + two HT112
    four HT210
    two HT112 + two EX112 (ouch!)
    one NV610 + one NV215 (Mama!)
    two NV610 (anyone want punchy?)
    one HT322 + one HT112 + one EX112 (seems like maybe 'Big String" has used this combination sometime or another)

Damn, dude; I think you're my newest hero (well, you and Oddio -- four Acme Low-B2's).

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If I had the Jack, I'm pretty sure I would go with either a Crown MacroTech MA2402 or a Crest Pro 8200 (or 7200).

12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Are you saying the Crest CA-9 Power amp sounds different than something like a QSC PLX 2402? Is it related to using a Toroidal transformer versus a switching amp type of thing?

13. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The CA amps have more gain and lower input sensitivity then the PLX amps. From what I understand the CA amps are easier to drive and have a little more "steam" then a comparable PLX amp. I would bet that they sound almost the same but when you start reaching the amps limits is where they would differ. I dont have experience with either though. Of course the CA-9 is 52 lbs and the PLX is 21 lbs.

Ive wanted to try a CA-9 with some Berg cabs but I would never use an amp that heavy for regular gigging.

14. Yep, I tried this. It was pretty impressive, but I just had problems hearing my 322 the way I need to. While it was very focused yet very open I still had trouble hearing unless I was at least 8-10 ft. away which is almost never for me. And yes the 322 can get very angry sounding as you pump it up, a little to much for me or at least the basses I used. I did sell it for those reasons and kept the 112's which I use most of the time. I replaced the 322 with a NV610 (killer).

The 322 + 112's sounded great until the band started. Again, I felt the sound was getting lost from the stage perspective. Sometimes various enclosures don't compliment each other. I did get some very big compliments on my sound from some highly respected players. Go figure. In fact I never got anything but great compliments on my sound while using Bergantino cabs and the rest of my gear from players and sound techs. My problem was ME not being able to hear.

15. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Yes, the difference is in the transformer and also may have to do with the input sensitvity and gain as well... Believe me I'm not crazy about the added weight myself, but for the sound and tone I'll get use to it or maybe hire myself a roadie :help: ... I found a dealer whose selling the Crests for an excellent price, if anybody is interested, please drop me an e-mail... (SCT1422@MSN.COM)

16. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The difference doesnt lie in traditional transformer vs. toroidal. Its in the design of the output stage. Both the CA and PLX amps are class H.

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Strange; maybe it's the 'Bloom' distance thing.

I'd bet it did sound good out in the audience.

18. Believe it or not, I play all my basses Through a Sadowsky Preamp to a rackmount tuner out to a TC M-ONE out straight to an Avalon U-5 out to a 1602 to a Bergie HT 112 and a EX 112 and WWWOWWW is all I can say...more than a plenty of volume, depppppth, deeffffinition and puuuuuuunch for days! Can you tell I reaaaaallllly dig these cabs? I can honestly say that I've tried everything else out there over the years, and I have never been as impressed with a rig as I am right now with Jim's cabs. When I set up my rig (Less than 4 feet high) I get all kinds of looks and jokes cause it looks like a stack for mini me!! BUT when I start playing my Warwick Streamer Stage II or 62 Jazz (or soon to be Sadowsky Vintage 5) the laughter stops, the skies part, and the funk generally begins in full force. TAlk about INSTANT respect. I get more compliments on my PLAYING now than I ever have in nearly 25 years of playing. I think that speaks volumes about the quality of the sound but also about the confidence that it instills in me and the inspiration that it gives me to play!!! Thanks JIM!! Go try some and you you will see what I mean! BTW - I replaced an EDEN 212 with these 2 TINY cabs and saved having to get somebody to help me load my rig!! I make 2 trips by myself and I am done! A cab in each hand on trip 1 and my Incase dub bag on my shoulder, and a light weight 6 space rack and small road case on 2nd trip! How cool is that!!!

T