1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig Vehicle-Toyota Highlander

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Ampig, Feb 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

Will a 3/4 URB fit these?

2. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    It depends how do you want to put it in. I can fit 3/4 with quite big body to Fiat Punto (4 doors version) and I have empty trunk and can bring one additional person with me.

3. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I'm sure the bass will fit. It's all the other gear that you have to worry about. I have a 10 year old Kia Sportage, and it's like an advanced level of Tetris getting everything to fit in there for my string bands gigs.

4. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    Upton has a vid where they cram one into a mini cooper. I've easily put mine in a chevy aveo, and it's even easier in my new car (versa)

5. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

I guess I'm thinking about having a front seat passenger

6. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    I had a 3/4 Kay M1 that used to go to gigs in a '71 VW Super Beetle. Fold down the back seat, neck resting on dash. Oops...forgot to put the endpin all the way in...cracked windshield...

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    A 3/4 DB fits easily into a Highlander with three large passengers. I went to a gig several years ago in a Highlander that was carrying a DB, a drum kit, an amp, a stool, and a jazz trio with two 6'2" guys flanking a 6'9" guy. Not only did everything fit, it was a comfy ride. This is an easy call.

DC Bass likes this.
  8. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Your volley ball team must destroy it in the rec leagues.

vanderbrook likes this.
  9. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

10. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    I gig out of a 2002 Corolla, and my 3/4 Engelhardt fits (Back on seat, scroll in footwell) just fine. A mando player once saw me load in and asked if I brought the clowns with me or left them at home. I've gotten my bass in all sorts of teeny-tiny vehicles.

Here's a video.

11. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

I've loaded into small cars also, but I need room for a front seat passenger.

12. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    I often travel with three full size grown men (none of us is huge, but not teeny either), 1 double bass, 2 banjos, 2 guitars, and a fiddle, in a Toyota Highlander.

DC Bass likes this.
  13. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I drove a two door civic for a lot of years with my double bass. The double bass, electric bass, 4x10 cabinet, head/gear bag, overnight bag, and a front seat passenger (with a little bit of reduced leg room) all fit. My sister had a 4 door and picked me and my bass up once, and it was almost impossible to get the bass in her car because of the column between the two doors. A friend of mine drives a small 2 door BMW with one of the largest basses I've ever played, and makes it work. You really don't need a large vehicle for a double bass, and I've found a lot of the time a 2 door can be easier than 4.

I drive a station wagon now that gives me a ton more room and is a lot easier to load in a tight parking lot or the rain, but you can really get a bass in just about any vehicle if you try. Sometimes the seats need to go back/forward, you might need to take a headrest or two off, and/or get a little creative with which angles you put it in, but you can make it work. If you find yourself car shopping, always take the bass along.

14. Yes I have a highlander. Fits great. Has room for 2 additional passengers and their instruments.

15. ColdEye

ColdEye Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I managed to fit mine in my small Subaru impreza.