Gig w/bad turnout!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You know what I hate!!!!!! When you are getting ready to play a gig & the band before you has a real nice turn out. You're saying to yourself that they will hang around!!! As soon as that band gets off the stage, the place empties!!!! & That always happens when we have a bad draw!!!! Go figure. When ever we draw good, I always try to get my friend to hang around to see the next band. Why is it so hard for peeps to stick around for a while? What do they have to do that is more important on a Fri/Sat nite?

Sorry for whinning so long.
  2. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    It's all part of the game. It's an old ploy that most new bands like to use when they're competing against established, or rival bands. The idea is to get all of your friends to show up, and then leave after you play. This is "supposed" to catch the attention of the club's management, who are then supposed to figure out that you should get hired, since the crowd was "really there to see you" and not the regular band. I actually used to like to stick around whenever I was in the opening slot because either the main act was worth it, or it was just as much fun socializing in the crowd.
  3. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of people have used that ruse on us! I agree, there's nothing worse than seeing a room empty out in the time it takes you to set up. When we go on, there always seems to be a mass exodus, or a brawl breaking out, which clears the place. (Maybe this isn't a coincidence? :(). Happily, we mostly play the Cavern and have people coming from further away than normal (Blackpool, Sheffield, Canada...), so they usually hang around.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A couple of bands I've been in never intentionally had people come, we just happened to have very large social circles and a following that was sometimes better than the 2nd band or top bill. Plus, we made ourselves available for the partying afterwards, and a lot of people like that. They could always count of parties with lots of drugs and free booze, (as opposed to the club/hall), as opposed to where we played, where it cost to stay.

Are you guys doing anything promo-wise? The club owner sure as hell doesn't want the room to spill either. Maybe they would help you out with some handbills and utility pole posters. If you have any university campuses near you, circulating them just outside a student union/quad can really help.
  5. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    I've had the opposite happen to my old band in LA. The opening act was so bad that not only did they not bring anyone, all our people left out of disgust. LOL
  6. if the band isn't doing this intentionally, ask them to alternate sets with you. that way, both bands get a nice break, and the fans of each band will get exposed to the other, and maybe get hooked.