Gig week from hell!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Trent-35, Jun 12, 2001.

1. Ok gang, i've just gotta vent a little. It's like this, this Thursday i am playing a gig from 5 pm till midnight, yes that's right 5 till 12, backing up around 25 different singers for an independant showcase. Now is the annual Fan Fair week here in Nashville, TN. It started out i was just going to back up 1 singer on 4 song, a regular who appears on the show i play on every week in Kentucky, and it snowballed into us backing up everyone when the band that was suppoed to do it "broke up". I first said no, but then the rest of the band freaked and i caved into guilt. Except for the fiddle player and me, they all live in KY, and it's a "big deal" to them to get to play in Nashville. Big whoppie deal! The people organizing the event seem disorganized to the point of being comical, so i guess we'll see what happens. I told the couple that runs the KY band to stop stressing about it, and it seems to be working. But i've still had to chart over 15 songs, and we're not even going to get any kind of a rehersal with any of the singers. Should be "interesting" to say the leasst. It annoys me sometimes when singers think the band should just make music "magically" happen. Trust me, i'm not exactly getting rich on this marathon gig either, and i'm sure i'll have a killer headache when it's over.
    On top of that, at the regular gig in Ky this Saturday we have a sub drummer, fiddler, and soundman. Then next Monday i'm doing a showcase for another person that i have to learn 8 songs for. Ok, i'm done now. I guess the quickest way to get a musician to complain is to give him some gigs huh! lol Trent
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Trent, I guess I don't have to say "it could be worse.....". We've all been in the no-gig zone and would rather be where you are now.

Those multi-act festival gigs are a pain, though. I now see that I'm not the only musician who's noticed that singers expect the music to "magically happen". They kind of remind me of people who request songs and are told "we don't know that", and they insist with "ok, come on, just try it!"
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey Trent, check this one out:

5/31/01 (Thurs): 4 hr gig at SX Orlando grand opening as Rico Monaco & Sol Sons, home @ 2 am.

6/1/01 (Fri): 20 minute set at Hard Rock Orlando with Tito Puente, Jr. done at midnight, home at 1:30.

6/2/01 (Sat): At Orlando International at 6am (after ~3hrs sleep :eek: ) for a 7am flight to San Francisco. Get to SF at 9:45am PDT (my body says it's almost 2pm), go to hotel, chill for a bit, wander around downtown (nice town :) ). Soundcheck at 1:30pm PDT, the drummer and trumpet player that missed the flight (due to management screw-up, but we're not going there) show up just in time. Finish SC at 2:30, back to hotel, to Chinatown for dinner (just a few blocks away, happily). Gig is from 11pm-12am PDT (I haven't slept yet, and my body says it's 2am when we START!). Get back to the hotel at 1:30 PDT crash and burn.

6/3/01 (Sun): Alarm goes off at 9:30am, gotta be S/S/S and on the courtesy van for the airport at 11:00am, 12:35 flight back to Orlando (via Washington/Dulles...who books these things? :rolleyes: ). Get to SFO (airport), and the mgmt foul-up STILL ain't right but I still ain't talkin' about it. Just made for a stressful situation that was completely avoidable, IMO. Get to the airport in Orlando at 11:58pm, drop some stuff at the rehearsal studio (flight cases are HEAVY and too big for my house), get home by 1am, sleep at ~1:30am.

Now THAT'S a tough one! ;)

Anyone up for Paris??? Leaving the 28th!!!

ALL ABOARD!!!!!!! (now...where's my damn passport???? :confused: )
  4. Yeah, lol i love when singers say "just try it". I've said to them, hey do you know such and such song. They say no. I say hey, just try it! They say, i can't sing a song i don't know! I say why then do you expect a band to play songs the don't know. I then get a blank stare. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but it gets ridiculous and frustrating what people expect of a band at times.
    Gard, yeah, i like that. The old "Dart board" booking method. I haven't done much road stuff the last 2 years, but beleive me i've been there. Did a swing in '98. Nashville to Fernie BC, then Quesnel, BC, 2 days later had to be just north of Toronto. Look at the map to see just how far we went that time! All on a bus by the way. Then the next day in New Bruniswick, then the next day in Ohio, then the Iowa state fair for 2 days, then the Missouri state fair then home for a day and back to North Carolina. lol Man, we were all hating the bus huge, and it smelled like butts and feet. Another run i remember in the dead of winter in bad weather was Nashville to Minniapolis, Mn, next day Springfield, Ill, next day Little Rock, Ar, next day Syracuse Ny!!! It was nuts. Another time i was in Chipley, Fl one day and in Iowa the next.
    At least on the crazy road trips the band is tight and the shows will come off cuz the adreniline hits when you hit the stage. This backing up all these singers i don't know doing songs i don't know to me takes a real big mental effort. Trent
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Although not exactly "Bass Humor", it's sorta a gig story, so to BH&GS it goes.

6. I Once went to do a tryout for a group i had never evan heard of for a friend at about 3 and at 8 that night i was playing on stage with them we played till 7 the next moring
  7. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Personally, I don't think you guys are complaining -- I think you're bragging.

8. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Yeah I was gonna say, you guys have gig WEEKS?