1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gig with a Genz Neopak

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrackBass, Sep 25, 2008.

1. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i've been waiting for my local dealer to get a shuttle 6.0 in to try out. he did have an older neopak and i asked him if i could gig it last night to get an idea of the sound. (i believe the preamp is the same) well the verdict? i really loved the sound. it sounds kinda like an eden but better for my needs. it was a semi-loud outside gig with my three piece band. we play a variety of "bar music" rock, funk, country, whatever... the only thing is i was pushing the amp just about to it's limits. this is only a moderately loud gig and i always have pa support, but it's not the loudest gig i play. the clip light was blinking when i dug in or slapped hard. (not the preamp clip) to put things in perspective i usually play through a gk rb800 and it is quite loud enough for my needs. (volume-wise it walks off and leaves the neopak) i loved the sound of this head but i need more headroom. anybody ever compared the shuttle 6.0 volume-wise with an 800rb? also is the sound of the older genz 600 quite similar to the neopak, as i might go with a more traditional power supply.

all in all, the neopak is a great sounding head. absolutely fantastic, it just doesn't quite have the headroom that i need.

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    One thing to keep in mind... the newer NeoPak's (or free modded ones by GB) can go down to 2 ohms and 500w's. More meat there to be had if you make use of it.

Not sure what you were running off of it.

3. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    it was not a 2ohm model. i typically run 2 112's at a 4 ohm load. the gk was thrown in to put the volume into perspective, as most people know that head. 2 ohm operation is a nice thing to have but i have no immediate plans to change my speaker configuration.

4. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    update, i'll be demoing a gbe750 for the next two gigs (tonight and tomorrow). we'll see how that one stacks up. i have no doubt it will fit the bill but dang it's a heavy head.

5. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I had both a Shuttle 6.0 and a Neo-pak at the same time. No doubt about it, the Shuttle has a good bit more wallop than the Neo-pak into the same cab. The Shuttle has pretty much the same feel and volume as the gbe750 at 4 ohms, so if you are happy with the 750's tube channel, then you'll know if the Shuttle 6.0 will get it done

6. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    well two gigs with the 750 and i have to say that i like the neopak tone better. i can't explain it but i heard a definite difference between the tube channel on the 750 and the neo. not a huge difference but it was there. i will say that the 750 had some problems, mechanically. on the second gig i tried to dial in the fet channel onlt to discover that it didn't work. also the imput clip light for the fet channel seemed to work for both channels and the one for the tube channel didn't work at all. the power amp sounded like it was functioning properly, but never having heard this amp before i'm not sure. this is a display amp we're talking about so take the review with a grain of salt. also i am pretty sure i could get the amp to do what i needed, but the front end is much "knobbier" than the neo so tweaking was much more complicated.

7. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I also notice a slight tone difference between the Neo-pak and GBE line. The Shuttle is also a bit different from both of them.

8. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    I'm in the unfortunate situation of having outgrown my Neo-Pak as well and am beginning the search for more power. Our guitarist upgraded his Marshall stack to a JVM series and the Neo-Pak is getting buried in the mix. I've tried switching to using 2 ohms to get more meat but I'm having issues with the amp cutting out which is probably due to my cabs dropping below 4ohms on some frequencies when pushed.

For the time being I'm using the Neo-Pak by itself for practice and slaving a Carvin amplifier for gigs, which is working quite well thus far. The Neo-Pak makes for a great preamp!

9. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    The neo-pak is the amp that brought me to Genz Benz. I had my previous amp in the shop just before the holidays last year and unexpected delays left me with nothing to gig with. I had to grab something quick and happened upon a neo-pak. It carried me through all of my holiday gigs and I fell in love with the sound. Needless to say, my old amp was sold as soon as I got it back from repair, and over the course of the next few months, I became an endorsing artist for Genz Benz. Superior customer service and an incredible product line sold me on this company!!

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Note that the input clip LED indicates clipping (or overloading) of the input stage regardless of which preamp is selected (GBE-750/1200). This is because if you were to use the channel switching functions of the amp, it is important to know the status of the signal/preamp BEFORE switching channels or mixing to prevent an unintended result.

Regarding the other problems, was the footswitch plugged in? The front panel function switches must be out for the footswitch to work properly.

11. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i elected not to use the footswitch, so no it wasn't plugged in. the 750 sounded good but the preamp of the neo seemed to give me what i wanted just a bit easier. not knocking the 750 at all. it definately hits harder and has more girth than the neo, i'm just suspecting the amp that i auditioned was not quite 100%. this is just something that happens to all amp manufacturers from time to time, and sometimes it isn't even within their control. this amp wasn't straight from genz benz, it was a display model that has been out of their factory for sometime. based on my limited experience with these amps, i am hoping the shuttle 6.0 will sound more like a louder neopak rather than a lighter 750.

on a side note reguarding the clip light (output) i believe it is set up to flash earlier than other amps (say an eden for example) when an eden clip light flashes you can hear the clipping. one of the gigs i played was a loud rock gig and the 750 clip light was flashing occasionally, but the "clipping" was inaudible.

12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    The OUTPUT clip LED is also an output limiter LED, the LED flashes when the limiter begins to limit, actual clipping occurs about 6dB beyond this point.

13. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    hmmm.. that makes sense, 6db is quite a bit. no wonder neither amp sounded like it even skipped a beat when the light flashed. i guess i'm just used to the knee jerk reaction of "clipping bad" when i see a clip light flash. i think that the neo might have a bit more juice than i prieviously thought. i wonder if the early clip indicator is a contributing factor to the reputation of the shuttle being somewhat underpowered for its rating.

on a side note, am i the only one who hears the neo preamp as something akin to an eden sound? i would say imo an improved eden sound, but i'm sure some would dissagree with me.

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    The "clip" LED is actually labeled as Clip-Limit as it's dual functioned.