1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig with a Starcaster? I did.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M.R. Ogle, Dec 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Got a call at 4:00, the scheduled performer was sick, could I find a replacement? One phone call later, my singer/songwrite friend is on his way to the venue.

30 minutes later: "Hey are you coming up to back me?" Ooops.

I grab a Fender combo amp and the first bass on the wall... a "Starcaster" P-bass. Hey, it was in tune and available. Out the door!

Played the gig, went over well, nobody cared or noticed that I was playing a $99 bass. Not even me.

I'm beginning to think that I think about gear TOO much.

grrg63, bassbully, nixdad and 4 others like this.
  2. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Yes, but did the experience make you love your expensive basses any less?

3. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    I never gave it any thought. Grab a bass and go, no time (or need) to inspect the price tag.

Wasn't until we were packing up that I noted it was a "lowly" Starcaster.
    It worked just fine.

GKon likes this.
  4. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Good story!

My gigging bass is a $150 dollar Carlo Robelli. I've used it for years, even recorded with it. Everyone is amazed at how
    good it sounds and how well it plays. I don't care about name brands or price tags much.
    Welcome to the dark side ;)

5. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Tools for the job.

Sometimes, the RIGHT tool is simply the one you can grab the quickest.

6. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    I don't unferstand the term "beginner bass" especially when it comes to simple p, j type of basses.. I've been playing over 23 years now, and can gig with my squier p bass professionally. gear snobs don't like it, but to me it's no different than the usa std ones I have.

grrg63, bassbully and GKon like this.
  7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I'm still waiting for somebody to say anything really about my gear. In about 13 years of gigging not once has anyone said anything negitive about what I play. In fact there has been only two positive comments on my basses and it happened twice some years ago, both were budget basses.
    Tonight's gig I'm taking my Fender Reverse Jaguar a quite unique looking bass. So far nobody has noticed it either.
    I could be playing a Fodera tonight and I bet again, nobody gives two sticks about it.

grrg63 likes this.