Gig without drummer

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pontz, Nov 12, 2004.

1. pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    Tonight I have to play a drummer-less gig. The bar owner heard me and the two guitarists playing without a drummer and asked us to play tonight as a trio. I'm not worried about keeping time, I can handle that. But it seems kinda lame. We play some rock Band, beatles, doors, etc. Some Van Morison, James Taylor type of stuff. And we only have one singer with little back-up, so it's not like there are a lot of harmonies going on.

Anyone play in a band without a drummer? Any advice on keeping in grooving with out that beack beat?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    no real advise... but I've played drummerless shows. <-- plenty of drummerless tracks.

just play the part... keep *Your* time, let them follow
  3. Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    :eek: If you have access to a laptop and someone who knows how to program drum parts you could go that route. My guitarist and I played like that for a year and a half. You could also programm keys and after 18 months you tend to get really tight (you can't blame the drummer anymore!)
  4. LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    use a metronome (not at the show, but to make really good time, without using drums) my genius drummer forgot that the drums are supposed to do that

bloody drummers
  5. You could always slap some of it, make your own percussion that way. Depends on the song, though, there are some things that you really can't slap your way through.
  6. LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    yeah, for lines with little guitar or no guitar (just bass) try using slap for rythm, it sounds nice when its pulled off
  7. I play in a drummerless band now and it seems like the Pianist and I pick up the slack, no problem. It should be the same way with you and your rhythm guitarist.

My advice is to do alot of muting. Don't get slap happy cause it should really be used sparingly, in my opinion. Mute notes after you play them and you should be fine. You will get the hang of what to do and what not to do. Good luck!

Drummers...can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.