Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Saturday night my band is playing at an engineering organization's annual social. It'll be the first gig for the new Sadowsky. I'm taking the DB 750 and D410XLT, and we're all going through the board. First time for the "A rig" PA with the Midas Venice 240 board, too. We'll have two PLX 2402s for the subs (EAW SBX 220s), a PLX 3402 for the mains (EAW JFX 590s), and a PLX 1602 for the monitors (some 12-inch Cerwin Vegas).

It's the second gig for our new drummer and keyboard player. I spared you the high drama surrounding the departure of the other two about four months ago. The new guys both sing, so now there a five of us who sing in the band. Our backups are sounding very thick now with four available to back up.

We played a yard party down in Ocean Beach two weeks ago and it went really well. Saturday should be a blast. Here's our set list:

SET 1 ~ Dinner Set
    1. Dreams
    2. Love Will Keep Us Alive
    3. Standing Still
    4. Wonderful Tonight
    5. Lights
    6. Rhiannon
    7. First Cut
    8. Peaceful Easy Feeling
    9. Have I Told You Lately
    10. Don’t Know Why

SET 2
    1. Chain of Fools
    2. Good Lovin’
    3. C’mon C’mon
    4. Down on the Corner
    5. Your Mama Don’t Dance
    6. Come to My Window
    7. Love Shack
    8. Mustang Sally
    9. I’m the Only One
    10. All I Wanna Do
    11. Trashy Women

SET 3
    1. Heat Wave
    2. Play That Funky Music
    3. Angel of Harlem
    4. Heaven
    5. Get This Party Started
    6. Have I Told You Lately
    7. Blue Sky
    8. Listen to the Music
    9. Chain Gang
    10. Margaritaville
    11. The Breeze

SET 4
    1. Take it Easy
    2. Soak Up the Sun
    3. Sultans of Swing
    4. Rockin’ Down the Highway
    5. Wonderful Tonight
    6. Fast as You
    7. Take Me in Your Arms
    8. I Need to Know
    9. Tore Down
    10. Angels Will Fall
    11. Green River
    12. Rock and Roll

SET 5
    1. Mama
    2. Already Gone
    3. Mystery Achievement
    4. Don’t Know Why
    5. Can’t Let Go
    6. The Break Up Song
    7. Lights
    8. What I Like About You
    9. You Oughtta Know

2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Sweet! And I'll have to remember to steal some of your set list the next time I have a classic rock gig :p It's alway fun playing at the beach...played some country at a street fair in the People's Republic of La Jolla yesterday.

3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    You're welcome to it.

I was up at the La Jolla Art Festival a couple weeks ago, and watched a bunch of bands using Taylor guitars, several on the new T-5, which rules.

My sister lives out in Santee. I lived there a long time ago ... grew up in Lakeside, gateway to Santee from the Ramona side. We're going to be playing at Cheers in Ramona on the 29th, and out in Poway at "The bar formerly known as Dad's, where David met Brenda" now known as Game Time Tavern on August 6. Bop out and see us if you dare.

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, here's a pic of us last night. We did our sound check at 5, and got everything ironed out. We thought we started at 6:30 during cocktails, but that was in a different room, so we started at 7:30 during dinner. Did all the mellow stuff, but a few folks got up and danced during dinner. We filled the dance floor for the first set after dinner, then, true to engineers worldwide, half the audience left after the first set.

We still had a full dance floor for the third set, but by 11:00, most of the people had split. We played for the die-hards 'til 11:30, then called it a night. We were prepared to go 'til 12:30, but we invoked the band/audience ratio rule: If the number in the audience divided by the number in the band is less than one, the gig is over. And it was. We got paid, then loaded out for the next hour and a half.

This is one of the very few gigs that will see the new Sadowsky, but here it is in action.

5. 5 sets? Ouch. I hope they're paying you well! :)

6. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Why is that?

7. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Munji can certainly speak for himself, but there were prior threads where people discussed the propriety of gigging with special basses, such as his virtually irreplaceable one of 25 Sadowsky Anniversary in koa.

Well, what I want to know is, how did it sound? It looks fantastic!

And, of course, where can I get one of those shirts?

8. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Cool shirts!

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You guys are rather colorful....... :)

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Ah, ok.

11. I always wondered what Munji looked like, I knew it couldn't be like his avatar.. ha! And there is no resemblance, truly..

I gotta throw in my 2 cents on the set list.. nice, Munj! I'd dance..

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Thanks, guys. We actually only played about three sets worth of music, because they were doing raffles about every half hour. Doesn't hurt to be prepared, though.

Yeah, the Sadowsky sounded fantastic, especially through the DB 750. One thing was cemented though, my Lakland 55-94 was made for Eden amps. The Sadowsky sounds much better through the Aggie, but the Lakland shines through the Eden. I guess I'll have to take two amps when I take those two basses.

Now, the shirts. We got them on line from www.hotshirts.com. I'm not big on samey-same, but this was a corporate gig in the island motif, so I acquiesced just this once.

Anyway, kjones hit it ... As far as I know, there's only one other bass like that one, and it's in Japan. I suffered considerable mental anguish in the hopes of getting one. I don't want to give drunks in bars any chances to put a ding in it. Drunks at corporate gigs, maybe.

13. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I always thought he would look more cynical than that.

14. More like a pirate, less like Dr. Demento...

:)

15. Phew! That was the first thing I thought of when I saw your pic. I wondered if someone with such a great setup would go down the EVIL path of costume-bands!

16. I don't know, take the Island shirts and add the cool shades and hat from the avatar, you might have a style happening.

Randy

17. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Add a long beard and he could be Fidel Castro.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Me in 1978.

19. jesus.

20. Hey Munji.. where DID you get that avatar you use?

I agree with the sentiment about the Fidel Castro look..