Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Feb 2, 2003.

1. *Has never gigged before*

At a gig, do you play just a 45 minute set or what?

Someone told me on AIM that they are getting a 4-5 hour gig during the night (playing Metal), with 45 minute sets, and 20 minute breaks in between.

They're getting $400 for it.

Is this normal? Because somebody told me that (they had gigged a few times) you normally just play a 45 minute set.

:confused:

Lol thanks :)

Oh, and I can assume it differs from place to place.

2. i think it really depends on the venue...

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    In my experience, an original act is likely to play a single 45 minute set, opening for a more established original act. Venues that specialize in showcasing original music will often have three or more bands a night play using this format.

A cover band (or band that plays both covers and originals) is likely to be hired by a club to provide a full evening's worth of music. Four 45 minute sets is a pretty typical arrangement.

There are no set in stone rules about this, so don't assume these are the only two possible gig formats. :)

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'm willing to bet that it's a cover band. For original stuff, it's far more common to play only one set, ranging from 45 minutes to a little over an hour.

Odds are that if the band is playing more than one set, they are either mixing originals and covers, or playing covers only.

5. Yeah, he said it was covers.

He also said he got an email saying they needed to have 30 covers ready to play at any given moment during the set.

Just curious that's all...

6. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    and what if you're in a crap band (like mine) that plays old school covers and has no hopes beyond opening for other better bands?

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'd play 2 sets for $400.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Oh, you just do what I do - I just cry myself to sleep every night and wait for opportunity to come along and whisk me away to a better lot. :D