Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gigantour - Megadeth, Dream Theater, Dillinger Escape Plan, etc...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Damn, you guys are slow. This has been out for weeks now, thought i'd post it since there hasn't been a mention of it yet:

Headlining Stage bands:
    Set to launch in late July, Gigantour is a six-week festival trek co-headlined by MEGADETH and DREAM THEATER, who'll be accompanied by other main-stage acts FEAR FACTORY, THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN and NEVERMORE.

Second Stage bands:
    DRY KILL LOGIC, DIECAST, OTEP, OVERKILL, PAIN OF SALVATION, TAPROOT and Mike Portnoy's recommendation, SYMPHONY X.

http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=35062
    http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=35689
    http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=35854

2. i'm going.

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Definitely.

4. This may be worth paying money for.

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    **** man, i'd pay to go see Megadeth, Dream Theater, Diecast, and DEP. Hell, I'd pay for any one of those alone.

6. I'm hopefully going to be able to go. I might even get my history teacher to go, he's a confirmed Symphony X fan, and I'm sure he'll like the others.

7. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    The megadeth site says tickets will only be 35 bucks. What a deal for Megadeth, Dream Thater and Symphony X, and Overkill

8. Pain of Salvation(PoS, hehe) is also pretty good.

9. Megadeth, Dream Theater, Nevermore, Overkill, PoS, Symphony X....

Sign me up! :bassist:

Now if we could only get some locations/dates. I'll be mighty depressed if they don't stop in Pittsburgh.

10. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, theres no dates yet, but it said it's supposed to last about 6 weeks.

11. Last half of summer, prolly late July, and all of August. DT has a Euro tour for their new album the first half.

12. I'd make a point of missing that then............

13. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Well it is going overseas... I'm not sure every single band will be the same, but it shouldn't differ too much.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Unless your Dad tells you its cool.....oh burn! :D

15. HA! We both agree Dream Theatre can't write good songs. :p And as for Dillinger Escape Plan........talentless.

16. For everything else, there's Mastercard.

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    That is the dumbest thing I have ever read. I tip my hat to you sir.

I remember the clip of you trying (and I stress trying) to play By the Way, why don't you post one of you playing Panasonic Youth. :eyebrow: Then you can call them talentless as much as you would like.

18. Well, ask Toasted or Tayste, they have seen me play By The Way. All Dillinger do is wank on time signatures, it's boring, repetitive, and stupid. It's just a wall of noise. That's all it is, noise. Dream Theatre are awesome musicians, but I don't think they write very good songs, they suffer from the classic prog rock self indulgence syndrome.

19. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Myeah, DEP is currently my favourite band. I can understand you don't like the music, it isn't "easy" music (like Nick(le)back), but calling them talentless is a jumpy conclusion.

Anyway, I hope this tour makes it to Europe. You Americans should be bloody gratefull to have these kind of tours. Same thing with the US Ozzfest, that bill absolutely rocks! Last time Ozzfest was here (Belgium) there were only 3 bands (Ozzy, Tool and SoaD) :meh:

20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Wait a minute now. Wank? a term to describe difficult music with no soul. As in Classical Thump is wanky. Also, those time sigs are hard to count and even harder to incorporate into fast, agressive music. Like I said, if you can post a clip of you playing some of this music correctly and in time then by all means feel free to deem it talentless. I guess I could argue about the stupid comment, but that is too easy given the bands you like.

I agree with you about the DT comment, the only lyrics/complete song I ever liked from them was written by Myung. I would dig them without Labrie and most of what Petrucci does.