Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gigastudio

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Does anyone here use gigastudio? What do you think of it? I need something to play back midi compositions from my computer, my SB Live isn't really cutting it. Would I be better of with Gigastudio(and only Tascams 500mb GM library), or with a roland XV3080, or SC-8850?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I use Gigastudio sometimes, in my opinion it only makes fun when you have GSIF drivers for your soundcard. they're even required to run it on 2k/XP.

If you only want better midi sounds, Gigastudio is overkill and a little expensive, it's more a software sampler for AKAI and .gig samples. Most people use a separate computer solely for running it.
    Gigastudio is great for playing high-quality AKAI and Gigasampler samples, which can be as large as one gigabytes, e.g. Gigapiano, and it can stream it from harddisk, which makes it a very high performance tool.
    Other great tools like that are Steinberg's Halion
    or Native Instruments Battery (VST plugins).
    Virtual Sampler is a cool standalone player, and it's a lot cheaper too.

http://www.virtualsampler.de/english/index.html

But you'll need a big sample library to fully use all of these, and don't expect to be able to use them as a one-in-all midi instrument soundbank. They're used to create one instrument, e.g. a drum set, a piano etc., or to use sampled loops.

Try Edirol Roland Virtual Sound Canvas for better midi sounds. Unlike Gigastudio you can use it in any program.

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/vscmp1.html

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Does the virtual sound canvas have as good sounds as the SC-8850, or XV3080?

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Can I run Gigastudio on the same computer as my notator, and just use tascams GM library, and have it work like my soundblaster?

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Not really sure why this was moved to recording, since It involves no recording at all, only playback of songs, but o well.

Anyway I just found a Kurzweil PCR2 and its great, so I think I'm going to get it.