Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gigbag or hardshell?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Gigbag

56 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. Hardshell

90 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. no preference, don't care

10 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Obligatory carrot option

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Which do you prefer? Seems like a lot of people prefer gigbags, but I am kind of in the dark on why....seems like a hardshell offers much more protection.

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I voted no preference, because my actual preference is VERY situational.

I prefer a gig bag when I'm traveling a relatively short distance (ie cross town as opposed to Detroit to Frankfurt, Germany)and the instrument will be in my control the entire time. If I'm driving my car / truck to a gig or practice, I'm baggin' it.

I prefer a hardshell case if I'm travelling long distances, or with several stops / transfer points. When I drive on vacation and know that I'm going to have a crapload of other luggage, bikes, etc and I'm going to be unloading and repacking the vehicle from time to time, the case is the only way to go.

As a result, I have 4 basses, 3 hardshell cases, and 3 gigbags.

Peace,

James

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I have a hardshell only and Ive been thinking lately thats its just a pain in the a$$ compared to a gigbag. I can see where malthumb is coming from for sure. I think I might get a gigbag for most uses and keep the hardshell for traveling or moving or something.

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Same here, 1/2 the time I use a double gigbag so I can save the space of two full size hardshells, If I only need one bass then I bring a hardcase.

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    man i would NEVER put my bass in a gig bag. I have always used a hard shell unless im just going to a friends to jam. Ive had my hard case save my sanity and bass more times than i can count. I guess it depends on the band though. I play in hardcore and punk bands so i mean my bass gets alot more abuse. My stingray is goin on 3 years and it doesnt have even a finish scratch on it yet. I always just feel much safer with a hardshell.

6. Hardshell case for me all the way.

I don't find them difficult to maneuver at all, and when the neighbor's little ones visit unexpectedly, I'm sure glad they're sitting on my bass in its case, rather than in a bag. ;)

Mike

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I voted carrots, 'cos I use both.

Gigbag is nice if you're walking/bussing to the gig - you can carry your bass on your back and have free arms. I find the HSC a bit cumbersome after five blocks or so.

OTOH, if your bass is packed next to three guitars and drum hardware, you'll want that extra protection.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Gig bag.

Hardshell cases are heavy, bulky, and a pain in the butt.

I carry my own basses, nobody else is allowed to. I carry them back and forth to gigs in my own vehicle. I always bring two basses. I can carry one on my back, one in my hand, and pull my amp along with the other hand. Saves me a trip.

I have never had a bass damaged in a gigbag. I have accidentally dropped a bass a couple of times, never got a scratch. As long as the gig bags are decent quality and have lots of padding, they offer plenty of protection.

I wouldn't want a car to run over my bass in a bag, but I don't think that a hardshell case would protect it any better in that situation.

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    How about a hardshell gigbag? I'd never seen one of these before, this is what MTD sells with their new basses. Has the storage, lighweight, and covering of a gigbag, and the protection of a hardshell.

Or is this carrots?????

[​IMG]

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio

[​IMG]

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Those are really nice. Light as a gigbag, and they offer good protection. But they are really just a gigbag shaped like a hardshell case, with a lot of extra padding.

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Actually Jeff, it is a hard case.....I'd be willing to bet your average person could stand on it without any problems (But I'm not going to try it ) :)

13. Ah. But does it have backpack straps like the gigbags do? That's one of the main reasons I prefer a gigbag even though I have hardshell cases. That, and the pockets seem to be able to hold more stuff. The case I have for my G&L is pretty darn light. But I would prefer having a gigbag around just for ease. It generally takes up less space, especially when walking, and it's somewhat easier to take the bass in and out of it.

But when I have to put my bass with other instruments or take it to a place I'm not familiar with I bring the case.

I *really* need a gig bag for my Rickenbacker. It came with a tolex case, and that thing is quite heavy and unwieldy.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like gigbags bc they are lighter and offer a closer fit to the bass, idk its coo.

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Actually, it does have an adjustable shoulder strap, it is in the storage compartment at the moment.

16. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I agree with malthumb that it depends on the situation.

If I am going to a practice or a small coffee shop jazz gig, I may use only a gig bag.

I use hardshell cases in club gigs. Anything could happen in a club or on the way to a club.
    A cabinet or other equipment might fall on a instrument. Someone drinking too much might trip and fall on equipment (happens all the time). Someone may spill a drink on equipment off stage. A fight could break out with things being thrown all over the place (happened a few months ago) - some of those things (chairs, tables, pool sticks) could hit your instrument.
    I play in some rough places - one never knows what to expect.

17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

SKB hard cases if I'm not doing load-out.

Otherwise, my Ritter Star Pack is padded like a baby's crib and very tough......much easier to handle -

[​IMG]

18. Hard Shells, 100% of the time. It gives me piece of mind knowing that the basses can take a little bit of abuse, regardless of the situation.

This is especially true with the bus, this is one of the places I appreciate the extra protection the most. I don't understand how you guys feel safe with a gig back when taking public transportation.

19. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Hardshell for me. I prefer the protection of them.

The Hiscox hardshell I have for my Wal is very very light (lighter than some gigbags I have owned in the past)

20. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    6 hard cases, 3 bags and looking for a case for the Conklin now...bags give me no reassurance.