Gigged my BXR 25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flatwound, Mar 17, 2001.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Actually it's a Fender RAD bass amp, which is a BXR 25 with gray carpet and a stupid name. My dad called and said that the tuba player who usually plays with his Dixieland band couldn't make it to a couple of gigs, so would I like to play with them? Well, I don't know a lot of the songs, but they've got charts, so I went.

The first one was a happy-hour gig at a local retirement home. This is not an old-folks home, it's for people who can mostly take care of themselves. We were 7 pieces: drums, banjo, piano, horns, and me. Nothing was miked except the piano and vocals.

The RAD handled it just fine. Had the volume on about 6, and the knob on my Precision about 2/3 open.

When I hear that 100 watts will just barely cut it at an acoustic gig, and that you'll need more if you're playing with a drummer, I don't know what to think. 25 watts did it this time, and I'm going to do it again tonight. It's a lot easier than carrying my bigger stuff. And hey, these are paying gigs. I'll play for free, but money is good, too ;) .
  2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    cool deal dude. I guess every gig is its own animal.
  3. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Well there's drummers and then there's DRUMMERS. :D
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Good point. I used it today at church, with a drummer, percussionist, four singers, three guitarists, and a keyboardist, and it was just barely adequate as a stage monitor. Of course, I ran the line out to the PA so that someone else could hear it, too. I'm thinking of chucking my "big" amp (100 watt Lab Series, 115 BW cab), and going to a little 100 w. or so combo with a 10 or 12. The RAD sounded a lot nicer than that setup.