1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gigged my new 2007 Limited Edition Stingray on Friday....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baird6869, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Wow, this thing cuts. I forgot how good a SR sounds on a gig.

Great articulation and tone.

I was going to play a few tunes or maybe one set with it and I played the entire show with it. My Sadowsky NYC was pi$$ed and isn't talking to me now.;):D

2. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Funny, same exact happened to me on my last gig! (same basses also!)

3. I recorded yesterday. Took my SR4 HH and '75 Precision--a sound I just can't quite get with the SR, which just won't get as fat and farty in the middle as the P (although I can get a decent Jazz sound). I thought the engineer or producer might prefer the tried and true P bass--this was a punky pop tune, sort of a Clash vibe-- but they wound up running the Stingray direct. I set it for the faux-Jazz vibe--the two outer coils--boosted the bass a bit, left the mid flat, and rolled off the treble just a little. The producer and engineer loved it--said they didn't have to eq it at all. Made me really happy with that bass.

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I haven't gigged my 07 LE since november...I'll have to get her out in a few weeks. It's one of my favorite sounding Rays of all time.

5. Baird6869

+1

I have owned 2 Rays in the past (a late '90's SR4 and new-ish SR5) and they just didn't seem to sound as good as this one. No idea why as the only differences between it and a standard SR is the colour and inlay.

Can't want to A/B it with my soon to be delivered 30th Anniversary SR.:hyper:

6. Nice.

I switch off on gigs between my Sterling and NYC. Both get the job done, and both give me the tones I want.

I just noticed in your sig that you use Markbass as well. You have good taste :)

7. Baird6869

And unfortunately "expensive taste" as well.:help:

8. steve21

steve21 Banned

The SR5 had ceramic magnets in the pups, the SR4 has alinco. SR5's from this year on will come with alinco magnets, and Sterling 5's will have ceramic.

9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It will be a different sound that is really great, you'll like them both. I too have a 30th SR4 and it sounds amazing.

But of the 7 Musicmans I currently have, and the dozen total I've had...my '81 SR4 and '07 LE SR4 are the two favorite stand-out players ever.

10. Baird6869

Cool. Thanks for posting that. Now I can justify gigging with them both and not feel bad for having 2 of the exact same (make, model, # of strings) basses!:bassist:

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Sometimes a nice simple Ray just sounds awesome!