gigged with tech 21 bass power wedge 60

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dunamis, Jan 2, 2005.

1. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Recently acquired off e-bay, I gigged with the bass power wedge for the first time this weekend. I'm using it as a monitor with a SansAmp BDDI as a front end (the wedge has a 60 watt power amp and 3 band eq but has no preamp). My signal chain: active bass>SABDDI>ART Compressor>Power Wedge 60>PA Board.

The wedge significantly enhanced my sound on stage. I have the PA's sub right next me, so hearing myself wasn't a problem except that the sub lacks mids and highs. The Wedge helped this a lot and others on stage noticed it as well. The lead singer/guitar player mentioned that he could hear individual bass notes better as opposed to just rumble.

The house sound feed is unaffected by the wedge, and I kept the volume at about half so the house hears pretty much only PA. Even at that volume setting, I had no problem hearing over the drummer, who is set up right next me.

The wedge makes a perfect companion for use with the SABDDI or any other preamp. It serves nicely as a practice amp and would also work well as a main amp for small gigs.

The more power hungry among us may scoff at 60 watts/10" driver but don't let that stop you from checking out Tech 21's Bass Power Wedge 60. It's a very useful and incredibly full sounding piece of gear and, at 35 lbs, is easy to haul around.

The Bass Power Wedge 60 can still be had, but due to the additional cost of producing the wedge form factor, Tech 21 has replaced it with the more conventionally shaped Bass Power Engine 60. The new model has a 12" driver instead of the 10" but has all the same specs otherwise. I find the wedge shape to more useful for my purpose as a stage monitor and I'm quite happy with the performance of the unit overall.

Here's a couple of links with more info:
  2. More people should freely post good reviews of gear they've tried, even when people haven't specifically asked. I'm sure future searchers will find it useful, and it's always handy to know what's out there, even if you're not looking. Good post, man.