Gigging abroad advices

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oversoul, Feb 23, 2010.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    It's been awhile since I've posted anything here, here goes

Lately I've been somewhat frustrated with my local music market, in the past year and a half, I've let go of most gear matters, and started playing regularly and getting paid for it.

Thing is the market is small and of course, not well paid, altough I can't complain... thing is it's been hard to find a satisfying gig, mostly due to people and their lack of professional behaviour, not that i'm that big of a pro anyway, but, I'm sick of "bassing" around in slacker environments just for the sake of a small bunch of euro bills.

Lately I've been realizing that some fellow bass players from around are already taking the big leap, and GTHO of here.

So basically, I'd like to ask people about similar experiences, going away from your surroundings for the sake of a gig, spending time abroad, and suggestions on how to research gigs abroad.

2. poppinsmac

poppinsmac

Aug 10, 2007
    You are wanting to go with a band?
    Or by yourself and try to find people to play with?

3. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    If you read well enough, you can tour with a cruise ship band.

Brazil would seem like a likely place although I understand that the spoken language of your home state and its offspring is very different. I'm sure there is work there but there may be other factors to consider.

What about the Costa Del Sol or is that all DJ these days?

I traveled to Asia, Australia and Central America during my 'pro' days but it was always handled by the band's management.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

-richard

4. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I'd go alone. I don't think I'd go to latin countries, too much resemblances, plus Brazil is kind of crazy in some areas.

5. Do you have to be playing music to make your living? Do you speak English as a native Language?

Some Asian Countries such as South Korea can pay some reasonable money teaching kids and adults English. Some teachers work well under 30 hours leaving music time for gigs or other projects.

I can say South Korea is a shock for folks living in Spain. My Violinist, a Spaniard, was in tears for his first 6 months due to many reasons but he has come around and is doing much better. He's now the music director for a new international school.

6. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    English is not a problem, I'd be very keen on the asian market, and in fact the people I mentioned earlier are involved in the luxury hotel business all around asia.

Yes I'd imagine the cultural difference to be large, the only asian country that doesn't frighten me in that fashion is Japan, not sure I'd hit it there tough, everytime I hear japanese pop/rock music I hear good bass, must be a competitive market.

The language is a big throwback, I've taken japanese lessons, but the whole 3 alphabet thing takes time to control.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021