1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gigging amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cpconley, Mar 27, 2006.

1. cpconley

cpconley

Mar 27, 2006
    Hello, I would like to know if there are any amps that would be good for doing small gigs for the price range of $350-$500. I have been looking and I am just not sure on what do get.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, there are.

What kinds of gigs, will you have PA support, etc.??

3. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    There's a decent amount in that range... plus you will increase your options and potential quality of the amp by looking for used amps... do you need both an amplifier and cab? If so, you may have to go used if you want to stay under $550. What kind of music do you play? And do you particular bassists that you like and would like to emulate their tone as much as possibly? It's not a lot of money at all, but you can get something that'll be gig-able with a little work.

4. cpconley

cpconley

Mar 27, 2006
    Well lets see, i would like to look for used amps, i don't absolutely have to have a head and cab, i was thinking more along the lines of a combo amp, unless that's not a good idea? The music I play would probably be southern rock, thrash metal type of style, something with alot of punch and low tone. I'd say if i were imitating a bassist, it would be Rex Brown.

5. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Well, $500 isn't going to get you much if you need to get loud (which it seems like you do). Not many combos will be loud enough to play with a couple of guitars in a loud band thrashy band... maybe a Peavey TKO115 but that's pushing it.

Maybe folks have some different suggestions on combos, but I think that, if you're going to need to be loud, you're better off going the separate head cab route. When I first started playing in a band again last year, I was hoping that my Ampeg 12" speaker combo could keep up with my guitarist's Fender 2x10" speaker combo -- no way!

Anyway, I think you should look for a used head for around $250-200 dollars... so that might be Peavey or Crate or Hartke or maybe Ashdown that puts out around 300 watts at 4 ohms. Then look into Avatar speakers for new (http://avatarspeakers.com/) or any used speakers that might be in decent shape soundwise (maybe an old Ampeg fridge that's cosmetically less than appealing)... I've come across older Gallien-Krueger cabs that are in decent working shape more than a few times... and, of course, used Peavey cabs.

I would say try to save up about $100-150 more than what you're budgeting now so that you can spend about $600-650... you get some more options with that extra $100. Also, check the FAQ on this forum for info about what to look for in buying amps and cabs. Hope that helps.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Best sub-500 rig I can think of would be a used GK 400 an Avatar 2x10 ... It's definately not going to take you into Panterra kind of volume. You'll blow up anything in your price range attempoting that. As long as the other guys youre going to play with keep the volume in line though you should do OK. If you can spring for a bit more then a GK 700 would be a better bet.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Take a look at the Yorkville Sound XM200. Best bang for your buck in a combo amp in the $500 range.. I used one live for over a year. Good, reliable amp with a great warranty. It sounds very good too. I prefer the 2-10"model over the 1-15". Both will power an extension cabinet for bigger rooms.

8. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    For what you want to play, I would look for either a 2x10 combo, or a head/2x10-8ohm cab. At least 300-400w at 4ohms on the amp, and make sure the combo can support an extension cabinet.

That will get you started, and if you need to move more air, in the future, you can pick up another 2x10, or a 1x15 extension cab. If you find something like a good used SWR that's rated to 2ohms, you could get a 4ohm cab and still get the rated power, then later add another 4ohm cab and still be good to go.

9. cpconley

cpconley

Mar 27, 2006
    Thanks for the help, oh and I am not sure, but almost absolutely sure I would have PA support. Either way I'm going to look into a head/cab combo now. Is there anywhere online that I could find a used head and cab?

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    www.ebay.com

www.craigslist.com (choose your town maybe?)

11. A used GK 800RB or Peavey Firebass can be had for about $300.00 used if you monitor Ebay...

Pair these with an Avatar 4X10 cabinet perhaps, and you'll have no problems volume-wise

I own a GK 800Rb, and can get a nice dirty signal from it... or if you prefer clean, go with the Firebass - I heard those can knock guitarists through walls..

12. I agree with the statements saying that if volume is of concern buy a seperate head and cabinet , you will definatley have more options, with that being said I am myself a poor bass player who has a young family to support so I when I was looking at a new amp this year I had a limit of $500 canadianwhich is about 400 us. I found many great deals on ebay and if I lived in the us I definatly would have bought off ebay. Since I live in Canada I get charged duty any the duty can be quite hefty. So I bought a new combo. I do gig with it and I have no problems and if the hall is to big I use the DI out on my amp and I go through the PA and use my amp as a monitor. So you can go either way and still gig.
    I will recommed
    Ashdown MAG 300 Combo
    Yorkville XM 200 Combo

13. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Active or passive bass? Are you using the -15db pad? I know they didn't put a level slider on the 6pro like they do with the amps that have graphic eq's, but doesn't the 6pro have a bunch of level knobs for each level of the parametric EQ? Try cranking those around too.