Gigging and need head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by enigmaticzidon, Dec 26, 2005.

1. enigmaticzidon

Dec 5, 2005
    Hey all i will be doing a small tour of the UK with my band and then we are heading over to the states for a bit and since the christmas money is here now im planning on getting a head and just taking that everywhere.
    firstly is this the best thing to do ?
    secondly if someone could name a few good heads for around £200 ish

thx alot all
  2. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Good luck. It's a long journey.
  3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Don't we all. ;) Don't sweat it. Try and play smaller towns where they don't get much entertainment. :bag:
  4. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    It sounds like you're based in the UK, so you need to keep in mind that in the US and Canada we use a 120 volt system (UK is 220/240v right?), so you should be looking for a head that has switchable input voltage (not too common methinks), or you'll be schlepping a step down transformer (not very convenient). The best option (to me) is to get a head you like and use it in the UK, then rent the 120v version for your US tour.

That being said, there aren't a lot of new heads in your price range that I'm aware of. The few that are: Ashdown MAG 300, Behringer Ultrabass 4500, Hartke HA2500.

Good luck.
  5. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    I find the bigger the city, the more love from the breezyz
  6. You should've picked guitar or drums then.
  7. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    What kind of music are you playing? How long is the tour? Will you have roadies? Can you get by with backline equipment?
    400 bucks aint much for a head....
  8. Look out for a peavey firebass or nitrobass head, they are good for the price, altho, you are cutting it short with only £200 for a decently powered amp

Vacman, £200 = $200 when buying equipment, because things are just more expensive in this country :(