1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gigging at a small wine bar next week with the LM3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Biggbass, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Got a call today to play bass for an acoustic solo act at a small wine bar next Thursday. Room capacity is about 35 - 40...sofas, big cushy chairs, coffee tables, wine & cheese and uptown chillaxing.
    The solo acoustic guy uses a Roland AC60 acoustic amp rig and plays America, CSN, acoustic Beatles, etc.
    I'm thinking of taking the Markbass LM3 and just the MB 102P cab along with my Hofner, and anticipate not cranking the amp up past 2.

This will be my first outing with the LM3 and 102P as a small room bass rig for this type of gig.

That should work well shouldn't it? Enough bottom enough?

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Oh yes, I think you'll have all you want. You might actually find that you can run it neutral and sound best, depending on the room. I have a duo gig coming up, me and a guitarist/keyboardist/singer. I'm taking my LMIII and 151P cab. It might not be as quiet a gig as yours, though. But, we'll be in the lobby of a large arts center. It'll be interesting to see how the acoustics are, and especially if my cab has to be far away from a wall.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Sounds to me like it will be plenty.

If the room is particularly "live" (i.e. lots of hard surfaces, sound bouncing all over) you may even want to turn the lows down some.

4. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I agree. No worries at all.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That will be more than enough amp and cab. My old 'small' gig setup was a LMII with a single Berg HT115 and that was way more than enough for quiet gigs.

6. More than enough. I play similar rooms with drums and keys with my Hartke A100 and it doesn't even come close to breaking a sweat.

7. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I can take the 15" cab instead of the 2 x 10...but the 2 x 10 and the rest of my gear will fit in the passenger seat of my Z3 ;) which will allow me to drive the car that day instead of my gas guzzling truck.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Why? Your 210 should have plenty of low end...in fact, it could have more than your 15.

9. Let 'em all talk about Markbass being flavor of the month-BS. I love, love, love my Berliin combo and am proud to be part of the Markbass playing community.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    i do gigs like that often. mb2-500. and a mojo sonic 1x10. i do these often enough that TB'er. Singlemalt is making me a combo cab based on the little mojo. I love those gigs! and having a grab 'n go rig makes sense for them.

the gk is hardly breathing...

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    So it's just an acoustic guitar/singer and you? Yep, you'll be fine...totally fine with either cab you choose to bring.

When I've been in that situation I use my Walkabout Scout combo, and it's always been more than enough. Lately we've just been running direct into the PA (very small PA) and that has been working great.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    How can you coin a username of "Biggbass" and go out and play with a tiny little 2x10??? :D

For myself I'd always take a pair of 2x10s whatever the size of the gig. I stack them vertically so two take the same stage area as one. That said I AM very conservative with my speakers.

As they used to say in dancing circles: "Break a leg"! :p

13. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I really enjoy taking my 12 string bass out for small gigs like that

14. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I used to haul an upright bass around town, often in the passenger seat of my Z3...I just lowered the top and set the bass in the seat and fastened the seat belt around it.

15. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Now I bet THAT got you some strange looks!!! :)

16. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    But at least she's curvy! LOL

I'd have paid money to see that! :)

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You'll have way more than enough. In fact, you'll find yourself cutting volume and likely taking a little bass out as well. Get out front as far as you can once and listen to how much bass comes through at a deal like that, it's amazing how little gear you really need. Experiment with different tones, ride more bridge pickup, etc., whatever you want you don't normally get to do. If you're used to holding the bottom in an energetic electric band, it's rather liberating to do one of those now and then and actually get to hear, and use, all the different sounds our instrument really has.

18. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    That's the kind of work I get a ton of.

The MB with that 210 will work great.

If you can get into the PA, do so. Roll all the bottom out of your channel in the PA. Your rig will carry the bottom just fine.

The problem in those wine gigs is that you all to often end up setting the rig on the floor, which is at the same altitude as the patron's knees. The PA gets you heard in all of the room. It doesn't take much of the bass in the PA to gain you a great tone in the room.

We upgraded our PA a year or so ago. I now leave my rig at home.

19. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Big :)

20. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I like taking a small rig. Some of the adjustments to the PA were you to go in are counterproductive for you or for the guitars and vocals. I like to be able to adjust the whole bass spectrum to a room for these small gigs. The PA could be perfect for the vocals and guitars and you may have to tame room acoustics for yourself.