Gigging Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peatea, Dec 8, 2003.

1. peatea

Sep 26, 2003
    I have been playing the bass for decades.
    I have owned and played Fender P, Fender J, Fender P Lyte, Rick 4001, Rick 4002, Gibson Grabber, Steinberger, Mosrite and many more.

I play in clubs, outdoor concerts, private parties and what ever comes up.

My basses get knocked around, beer spilled on them and they get rained on etc.

I just can't see using an expensive bass to get beat up at my gigs.

So I decided to go with a cheap bass that looks and sounds good.

I have an OLP MM Model that has an oiled natural finish.
    This bass can't be beat for playability , looks and sound.

I get more compliments than I did with any other bass.

The price was right and if it does get beat up I can always get another one.

In my opinion this is the way to go.
    I am not subjecting my $3,000 bass to the abuse it would get from regular gigging.

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    You are right. In my little world, if I play at a club it is sure to have a portable flashing sign out front. Not the kind of place to take your F bass.
  3. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I play my Carvin's at crappy bars but my Fury's will never see anything less than a classy and clean club. I just can't subject them to that type of treatment.
  4. I play my Pedullas anywhere I go. I buy a bass to be played, I am a live player. Yes I dropped alot of dough on them, and I intend to get my every pennies worth.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ding. Winner

I heard a story about Keith Roscoe (makeer of fine, fine high-end basses)... he made a bass for a customer, and saw it out the door.

A few years later, the same customer stopped by with said bass, and it was immaculate...nary a scratch or hairline scuff on the finish. Cherry, like the day it left.

Keith got pissed. He knew that meant it wasn't getting played out, it wasn't being played, and probably spend it's time in a glass case. Keith makes his basses to be gigged with, not be show pieces.

I agree with him and CL there. (And another reason to like Roscoe basses)

If I'm buying a $3000 bass, I'ma play it at $3000 worth of shows, from the scuzziest "Zeds Beer Pit" to the classiest corporate function.

Buy to play, yo.
  6. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I play Stingrays and Bongos and Jazz basses and Rumblefishes. They ain't scared of no BEER.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I play my $3,000 and $4,000 basses anywhere I play. I buy them to have the best sound I can get, and it's a waste for them to sit at home. I always put them on secure stands, and I keep people the hell away from them. I can't imagine a circumstance in which beer would get spilled on my bass. All my basses look new, and I've been gigging some of them for 7 and 8 years. If you treat your basses like crap, they'll look like crap sooner or later.
  8. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I don't own any $3000.00 basses but I do own a few very nice basses nonetheless and I play them wherever I gig. I can understand not wantng to subject an expensive bass to any kind of abuse but for me its all about the tone. Gigging would not be fun for me if I was not satisfied with my tone.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes, but are they scared of a fine Chianti?
  10. My basses are for gigging, they are my tools and I use my tools on all/any gig.

11. Yep, that my philsophy too, with a twist. I just can't see using an expensive bass to get stolen from clubs. Actually, I wish mine would get stolen -- it would give me the perfect guilt-free excuse to buy a new bass!!!
  12. i like to have cheaper basses that play well, and hotrod them so i have a great instrument at a low price because its good for the wallet and if it got stolen or broken at a gig, not too much harm done, just a few new pieces, or a whole new bass altogether and i'm back in action for only a few clams. like a lot of you said, i have them to play with, not look at, but if something happened to a bass i paid into the thousands for, heads would roll, and it would take a while to get a new one, or have it fixed, and that means the band could be out of commission for a while, and thats no good ;)
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Most of my gear looks brand new, not because of where I play but because of how I handle it.
  14. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

<b>So, your decision was not to get a $3K bass, yes? I guess if my gigs were as hairy as yours sound, I'd agree. I'd just pass on those gigs, and play what I like, personally.

I'd use any instrument I own, at any gig I'd do, if it was the one I felt would work best. Any tool can be replaced, life's too short to settle for inferior tools. You buy the absolute nicest axe you can swing, take the best care you can, and call it good, IMHO. Besides, my wife would kill me if I left anything at home because the gig was too "risky".
  15. My basses aren't terribly expensive, but if I were to buy a high-end instrument, I'd drag it to every gig I have. If I want art, I'll buy a painting.

Buy it, play it, take care of it.
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have played my Zon, my Cirrus, and the Pedulla that I used to own in church, at outdoor festivals, and at smoky little dives. They were meant to be played.
  17. You know, while I don't like to ding my basses up, and take precautions to avoid that, I actually don't mind some wear marks on them. It just gives them a bit of character and shows that they've been around the block, not locked up in some trophy case.

Sort of like the wrinkles and the gray hair I'm getting. They just show I've been around a bit. I don't mind if my instruments have a wrinkle or two to show that they've cranked out some music. There have been allot of people who have heard allot of music from my basses. They're bound to show some roadwork. :bassist:
  18. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    For club dates, upper end affairs and large concerts (opening for famous people) the Sadowsky gets the call.
    For bar gigs and rough and tumble stuff its Fender P or Fender jazz. A lot of the bar stuff is blues/jazz/funk-rock based so the Fenders sound really good and can take mishaps.
  19. basste

Oct 8, 2003
    same as many of you: if i buy a bass, it's for playing it. In all circumstances. And if one day i broke my favourite bass; i will play my partner's squier jazz in wait for another new favorite bass; and i will be happy yet to have another bass to play in this waiting time.