GIGGING Bassists.... please vote for your Cabinet!! (What People are Buying NOW)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Jun 27, 2016.

1. I need a VERY loud cabinet like a 610 or 810

90 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. I need a loud cabinet like a 410 or a modern "3-Way" cabinet with good Size / Power ratio

192 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. I need a hi-quality 212, and that gets plenty loud for my needs.

303 vote(s)
    46.7%
  4. I could never see a need for anything more than a 112 or 210.

120 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. I wish there were more options for hi-performance cabs LOUDER than an average 410

33 vote(s)
    5.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Director of Commercial Sales - Neural DSP
    Do you play at least 6 live gigs a year?

Have you purchased a cabinet for live use in the last year, or are you PLANNING to purchase a cabinet for live use in the next year?

Please VOTE for the cabinet type you feel you're most likely to purchase or have purchased recently!!

Here's my thinking.... back in the the early to mid 2000's, I was in a local band playing originals trying to get any gigs we could, and sometime opening for touring acts coming thru town. During this time, I was often playing clubs and bars that had insufficient PA support....more than half of the time the only thing that got a mic was the vocalist and drum kit, and the rest of the band was on their own. The guitarist and I were forever trying to get our rigs sounding good AND be able to get loud enough to fill the club up. He eventually moved from his 212 combo to a 100w Tube head and a 412, whereas I had any variety of hi-power head and large-format cabs.

Later, when we got signed and were actually touring, we never had ANY idea what PA support would be like from night to night. On our first small tour we would be playing large bars, clubs and some outdoor events. In almost all cases there was PA Support for everything, but I was often without my own monitor or told that that I had a monitor, but could not get my own mix. Therefore it became even MORE important that my rig could put out serious power so that I could hear myself onstage, so the need for a loud cab was even greater.

We're living in the glory days of amplification and cabinets. Major manufacturers have finally woken up and realized that Bass Cabinets need a great deal more "R&D" to function properly than simply throwing 1 or 2 Celestions or Eminence in a sealed box. The "Fear / Neaful" 3-Way Revolution has done it's thing, and many boutique makers offer a huge variety of cabs that perform better than virtually anything that was on the market in the '90s. But there are SHOCKINGLY few Large Format cabinets anymore. One almost has to come to the conclusion that "Loud" cabinets are going the way of the dinosaur. There is virtually no real competitive selection for properly designed, hi-performance large cabinets out there at all... and I'm wondering has gigging really decreased that much? Has PA support really gotten that good for locally gigging rock / R&B / Blues / Pop / Metal bands?

What do you guy think? Is there a HUGE market out there for Hi-Performance, quality large-format cabs that is being underserved right now... or has the market for 610's, 810's, and 215's / 3-way cabinets all but evaporated and manufacturers are doing the right thing by not offering them?

VOTE!! You can select more than one answer!!

2. I chose 212. I primarily have been using a GK MB212 combo in my band which plays 100+ gigs a year. We did ourselves a favor and bought an X18 Air to put in our in-ear rack so no matter where we play, we have our own in-ear mix that we control. My combo is really just for stage volume and to feel a little bass, as we always have full PA support.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    FirewalZ likes this.
  3. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I'm not currently gigging but I have gigged fairly extensively in Seattle. I can't see a need for more than one of the new breed of 112s (AudioKinesis, Greenboy, Barefaced, Baer) and a 500 or 800 watt head unless your stage volume is painfully loud.

archtop2, alaskaleftybass and Robroy like this.
  4. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    My needs are not actually fulling met by any option in the poll. My preference is a modular approach.

In reality, I would like - and I'm in the market for - a small, light, high powered full-range cabinet that would function for low to moderate volume gigs (I guess that would be the 112/210 option). But I also want a larger, higher-powered cabinet that could stand alone much of the time, or could be combined (and has been engineered to work) with the smaller cab for a large, loud rig that would compete with with or outrun the 8x10 crowd.

One caveat - I'm more interested in high-sensitivity cabs that are efficient than having huge power handling. I don't want to have to haul a 2,000 watt power amp around (been there, done that for 20 years, no thanks).

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    Sort of A and B for me. I need a very loud cabinet that has a good size to weight ratio.

I'm not at all hung up on the speaker size or configuration.
    I'm not buying 810's or 410's. My little pair of 1X12's (Barefaced Big Baby II's) will easily hang with an 810 and eat 410's for breakfast/lunch/dinner/dessert. They'll have more low end, better dispersion, and better off axis projection. They're stupid loud and sound like I have FOH support.
    My band has zero FOH support so my rig carries every venue we play.
    One cab can do most venues for a normal volume band. Two cabs can do anything I've thrown at them so far.

If 810/610/215's were the only game in town that can do what I need then that's what I'd use, but like you said we're in the glory days of amplification now. No longer do you need a huge cab to get that type of performance.

anton72 and middy like this.
  6. Plutonium244

Plutonium244

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I agree with Dave, 2 Barefaced Big Bay 2's -- or a single Big Twin -- will do everything needed for any situation. I'd do 2 BB2's though so that I could use only one when needed (which is most of the time).

The Barefaced Four10 has nearly triple the cone surface of a Big Twin though, so it gets plenty loud and deep. To me it depends on if I want great colored tone or pure clarity (I use both by BB2 and my Four10 regularly, but never together).

Like some of the other premium cabs, the Barefaced do FAR more than traditional cabs of the same configuration. Hell, if you had two BB2's you could even use them for PA cabs in a pinch.

7. I think this all depends on the region and type of music people are playing in. I see a lot of guys post on the forums who can get by with IEMs or a small stage rig because the venues they play in are always equipped with a decent PA. In some parts of the country PA support is unheard of. You either bring in your own PA, and subs to support bass and drums, or you just bring in some mains to support vocals. The bass rig needs for these two ends of the spectrum differ quite a bit.

I also see a number of guys who dont have any understanding that some genres of music are loud. Really loud. It is part of the experience. While it may not be everyone's cup of tea, it is a very real goal for some players.

8. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Is why I mentioned painfully loud stage volume. Of course, location location location, as I used to say to bluewine, is a key factor. In a place like Seattle, PA support is solid. BFE Oklahoma? Maybe not. Genre/stage volume is also a key factor, just providing my experience in my location (indie rock and alt-country in a large metropolitan area).

bassjnky1 likes this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Depends on your age and budget.

If I were young and money was tight, I would pick up a used, heavy 4x10. Lots of them out there.
    I'm middle aged and on a reasonable budget. I picked up a 38 pound 2x12 - vertical, so it is about the size of a 2x10.
    If I was gigging for $$$ every weekend, I would consider one of the Fearless or similar high end cabs.

pacojas, McTred and alaskaleftybass like this.
  10. I gig more than 6 times per year but primarily play small venues. In the summer I do play outdoor gigs but have never needed much more than my CMD121p and New York extension.Even though I gig alot, I'm pretty small potatoes in the scheme of things.

Oh, I do run through the board with twin 15 in subs if we need more oompf.

Art

gypsyfelon and Boone_Mc like this.
  11. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Director of Commercial Sales - Neural DSP
    I agree the "New" Wave of cabinets outperforms many 410's and 610's in smaller, lighter packages.... but with the possible exception of the new Genzler Bass Array cabs, none of the "Mass-Market" manufacturers have caught on.... and recently Barefaced has done a 180 on their design philosophy (going from saying true performance is simply not possible in a 2-way cab, to offering exclusively 2-way cabs)....

Do you guys think there should be more options for hi-performance nontraditional cabs like these?

I agree... but from where I sit, more than 2/3rds of real-world gigging bands cannot justify IEM's and the appertaining equipment, but still need big rigs to either hear themselves onstage or provide a great live tone in lieu of proper PA support.

CL400Peavey likes this.
  12. I think Barefaced is challenging woofer design. They are using woofers purpose suited for bass cab use. As opposed to drivers that were really guitar or sub designs, that were tweaked to get in to bass use. I hope that this is a sign that manufacturers will start to give us offerings better suited for bass.

Even guys that have "made it" and are touring get surprised with venues that are under powered when it comes to PA support.

13. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I could use a 210, but didn't vote because I don't think a single 112 would cut it for me. I have both. I use them together or I use the 210 alone. I have never used the 112 alone.

14. Robroy

Robroy Guest

Jun 21, 2006
    For me, fidelity is first and volume is second. A close second. The sweetest cab I ever owned was the Acme low B 2x10, which I purchased back before they were over $400. But it was stolen and I was broke.

But now, the 1x12 or, even better, the 1x15 three way is the choice for me. Coupled with a relatively cheap class D amplifier (in my case, a crown xls 1000 bridged), it's all I need for ANY gig, and nice and light. Frankly, I've thought about a 2x10 for smaller gigs, but I still need that low B "feel it" sound. Maybe I'll eventually spring for another Acme or one of the other brands that now compete favorably with it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    McTred likes this.
  15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I chose 112...actually I have two but only bring both if I know I will have to blast.

direwolf333 likes this.
  16. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Six "live gigs a year?" Yeah, I guess I get over that hurdle.

My choice isn't on your option list. I have a Bergantino HDN 112 and an HDN 210. I use one, the other, or both, depending on the tone and volume required. There is no gig that requires more volume than both can put out. Well before that limit, I am in the FOH.

b/o 402 likes this.
  17. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Instead of a bulky 2x12, I use a pair of 1x12's which are much easier to manage. The smaller box costs a smidge on the deep lows, but not enough to matter to me.

SteveCS, petch and kjones like this.
  18. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    the two orange 115s i have sound great, but they are heavy!!!!!

19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Using a Eden 2x10 XLT.
    Works for my needs in small Sports/Pub,
    Larger rooms DI to PA.
    A local venue has a 6x10 backline for their shows.

Robroy likes this.
  20. InhumanResource

InhumanResource Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    I chose "very loud." I went to a double 410 setup and haven't looked back. Full, articulate, and as loud or quiet as I'll ever need to be.

StraffordMike and Brother Goose like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022