1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gigging in a band on an instrument other than bass?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Apr 28, 2010.

1. I don't know whether this is the right place to ask, but I'll try it anyway.

After my fair share (and then some!) of idiots messing me around for lame reasons, I've toyed with the idea of trying to get a gig on something other than bass.

It just seems that around here, bassists get treated like complete garbage, or the bands want hipsters.

I can play another in-demand instrument, drums, and I was thinking: would it do any harm for me to just gig on drums instead?

There are some pros to this:

- Drummers are always needed around here.
    - I listen to and can play/learn pretty much anything within reason
    - I can do a Neil Peart and songwrite as well as drum.

BUT

Chances are that if I do start playing drums full-time gig-wise, I won't return to bass in any serious gigging or performing situation again. I don't want people to think I switched to drums because I'm a terrible bassist, or that I'm playing bass in the worship band out of desperation.

Anyone think I should just go for it? Or is it a bad idea?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Really, it's been said before, but I'm saying it again: the problem is not that every band out there is full of jerks who mistreat bassists; the problem is that they didn't like you. The same thing will be true when you play drums. Then when you go onto Talkdrum.com and complain about how all the bands abuse drummers for lame reasons, then you'll pick up the flute or whatever other instruments you've dabbled in, and try to get gigs with those--but then you'll come back here and complain about how nobody respects flautists so you are going to try again with bass.

3. OKay, no need for ad hominem remarks.

I'm over all the stupid lame reasons I've been fired from bands, and I'm over those bands. I had my rant and then moved on. Plenty of bands out there. So please jusr drop the smarmy remarks.

Anyway, to reply to you with regard to what I wrote,fact is that I would be of more USE on drums. There's no-one who wants to play what I want with me on BASS, but I'm a different SORT of musician on the drums. I'm doing this for purely music-related reasons.

And I don't 'dabble' in anything: all the instruments I'm playing I am learning to play for somewhat serious reasons.

4. Fassa, it's been awhile since I've seen your name pop up here. I saw your piece about lectures and school books on UG and had to laugh since I just completed my masters; sis, your books are cheap! Anyway, what gigs are you looking for these days?

5. :D

In terms of gigs, I'd love to play in a rock group if I could, simply because rock makes up most of my known songs and I think I would fit well as a drummer or bassist into that kinda gig.
    But I'm open- the only things I wouldn't do are metal gigs (simply not my thing drum-wise) or some RnB type stuff.

6. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    What, a UGer on TB? I thought I was the only one. Or at least, was...

I don't see what a second instrument can hurt. And who cares why they think you don't play much bass anymore? In my opinion, the ultimate revenge is being able to mock people in your mind, and revel in their idiocy, because you know how utterly, hopelessly wrong they are.

7. Haha!

Could always be a good point for the band: we could write a song with no drums and two basses!

8. Bass was my other instrument, been playing guitar my whole life. . . I'm totally psyched I did it. if nothing else, it's given me a whole new outlook on music. plus I found I dig the role of a bass player a little more than guitar - at least for now

9. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Misc-OhSnap.

10. perhaps it's time for focus,not diversity......maybe head back to the woodshed a spell and come out smokin' so the bands will be tripping over each other to recruit you,instead of you having to endure the painful audition process

11. TheRatt

TheRatt

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Being a bassist is 25% knowing your ****, and 75% ignoring everybody else.

12. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Sorry, Fassa, but from what I've read of you describing your experiences, Bongo is likely right. Other bass players, many in the UK, are not generally describing the issues you've had. So my best guess is that it's not the instrument.

Besides, wouldn't it have been an "ad feminem"?

Regardless, good luck.

13. Strictly, if you wanted to be a Latin grammar nerd, it's 'ad feminam'...:D

Also, as I've said before, I play in praise and worship bands and no-one has any issue with what, how or who's playing.

14. I'd say play what makes you happy.

15. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Exactly my point.

16. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Bass is also in demand, and from your previous posts it appears that you can play pretty much anything on bass, and you can probably do a Geddy Lee and write on bass. Why mess with a good thing?

Lets be realistic here.....

You're how old? To say in the rest of your life you won't pick up the bass because you played the drums seriously. C'mon. That's like saying you won't ever eat meat again because you ate fish. More than likely you'll be gigging on the violin, drums, bass, guitar, glockenspiel, and master gregorian chants by the time you get old.

And who cares what people think. Do you think if Geddy Lee started playing drums it was because he couldn't hack it on bass? Or Mark King played bass because he was desperate to join a band? Don't let what other people think get in the way of unleashing the musical prodigy that you are. Just be Neal Peart and Geddy Lee in one, and what band wouldn't want you other than lesser bands who are too concerned with image or jealous of your skill.

17. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I started as a bass player as a freshman in HS. I picked up guitar along the way and I started playing drums in college. I started playing drums as church early in college and now 10 years later, I get more gigs on drums than I do for bass and probably as many guitar gigs as bass gigs. However, I just like playing music.

Also, most people think it's cool that I switch up.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I just had a thought ... should I be reading these in a British accent?

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Yes.... Quite.

Fassa, drums are not an instrument. Don't quit playing music to play the drums.

20. That is what I tell my wife (our drummer) regularly.

I also tell the kids they should learn an instrument and not be like Mom who just plays drums.

Note - our couch isn't that comfortable.