Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gigging in Boston

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by zac2944, May 25, 2005.

1. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I looking for some advice form Boston bassists, or any others that live in big cities where driving to a gig is not always an option. I am moving form Rochester NY to Boston, MA in a week. I plan on getting a new bassist gig in Boston as soon as I can. Here is my issue: How do you get your bass rig to and from gigs?

Here's some info about my situation. I'll be living on the south side of Boston somewhere on the Red Line. I will have a car. I have a 4 space rack that contains a Mesa Boogie Walkabout, and sometimes a Mackie 1400i if I'm doing a larger venue. I use a SWR 15" and an Avatar 210 together or separate depending on the gig. I have dependable basses and usually only bring one ax to a gig.

Now, how do I get all that gear from my pad to a venue when driving is difficult and parking is near impossible? Thanks in advance.

2. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    bump

3. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Welcome to Bahhhhhhstan.

I think you'll find that the driving isn't so bad, and the parking won't be as bad as you fear.

If you're playing club shows, you're getting there earlier than everyone else anyway, and you'll find a spot before they're all fill up. If there are no spots, there are an abundance of parking garages too that are fairly reasonable - especially overnight. $10 bucks to a garage sure beats what a cab would cost you from Southie to Cambridge.

The folks at the venues will have parking tips for you too.

-OSF

4. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks for the info OSF. I didn't know about the garages.

How is the market for bassists in Boston? I am established here in little ol'Rochester, NY, and I get all the work I can handle. Are Boston bass players in abundance or ar they a commodity? Any tips on breaking into the scene? I play Funk/R&B(old)/Ragge/Hip Hop/Soul/Blues, etc. Any good open jams?

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Unless your near Fenway during a game, or on Landsdown St., then parking will suck pretty badly.

the driving isn't bad, just get half decent directions from a person rather than mapquest or similar.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I drive all the time (I live in the outer burbs), have been for 20+ years. Mass transit doesn't work well because it stops too early, you'd need to use cabs to get home at 2 AM.

It will take a while to learn the ins and outs of parking in the city, once you get that down it's not too bad. Car pool whenever possible.

Be glad you're not moving to NYC :D

7. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Check out the Cantab Lounge, Central Square in Cambridge. I think Wed. and Sun. are the jam nights.

If you're REAL good, you can try Wally's on Mass. Ave. in Boston on Mondays :D

8. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks for the info guy. I'm heading out to Boston on June 5th.

I'll have to stop by the open jams. I've always found that to be a good way to meet musicians in a new town. I love a good session, see ya at Wally's.

9. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I live in the Boston area... I have never met another decent bass player. But I think I am looking in the wrong places.. Berklee is a stones throw away.

10. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Wondering if we've ever met :D

11. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Hopefully not :)

12. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    If you're into the Funk/groove type of thing I think Harpers Ferry is doing a Jam now. That's also a great club for Groove/Jam bands. Check out Superhoney...talk to Sean the percussion player and let him know you're looking. They've been around a really long time and know a lot of people.

Wally's is great...but you gotta be a MONSTER. The members of Soulive, Lettuce, etc. all met playing there (and at Berklee). Sam Kinniger (sax player) plays there pretty frequently and he's really tapped into the scene.

This makes me wish I still lived up there...

Peace, DrewBud
    http://www.haziemaze.com

13. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    There's a million bassists in Boston, but not a whole lot of really good ones. Get yourself out there and network a little and you'll have plenty of gigs. +1 for Wally's and Haahpaa's. Also hang at the Middle East in Cambridge, there's a definite "scene" of players there. Check the bulletin boards at Berklee, scan the Phoenix, you never know what'll pop up. Parking isn't so bad once you get used to it, but if you really don't want to deal then just take a cab. Sometimes the cabs are worth it just so you don't have to deal with everything else. Plus if you have a few beers after your gig you don't have to worry about driving. You'll also make a much better living if you're versed in many different styles. There's a huge variety of gigs available so being comfortable with as many styles as possible will make your life much easier. Reading is a BIG plus too. Boston is a similiar scene to Eastman in Rochester, but times 10. Say hi to Boston for me and good luck.

14. zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I just got set up with an apartment in Somerville and will definitely be checking out all the spots you guys mentioned.

I have shared the stage with Sam Kinninger and his band on a few occasions and know some people he plays with. I'm going to try to hit up that crew for some connections.

If I get hooked up with a good gig I'll reply back and let you all know.

15. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    Sam's crew can definetely get you in with the right people, I've hung out an played with him also, he's a great person. They're all great players and people.

Good luck and say hi to Boston for me :)