Gigging on a Big Stage for a pickup gig 6/20/19

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JGbassman, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Hey all, just a few shots of a pickup gig I had Thursday, June 20th in Iowa for an event called the BBQ Roundup. It is put together nicely, and has a large amount of really good food going at all times during the three day event. I got a call about three weeks ago to help out a band thst recently lost their bassist, and needed one to pull off the gig, which was opening for a national act. I of course said yes, as I try and help local bands in a pinch. Spreading good Karma is never a bad thing in my book.

We played a 90 minute set of Original hard rock music infused with classics such as NIB, Heaven and Hell, Stranglehold, and No More Mr. Nice Guy to show some versatility and get some jamming done. I even got to do a little solo before NIB (black sabbath) to bring the song in. All and all it was a fun gig. We played from 530-7pm, so I was back home and in bed by ten (I get up at 330am for my day job)

I hope to post a few more pictures as they surface in social media. There was a photographer there, but I'm not sure when the pictures will be released.

This is the one shot I got after getting my gear set up. Yes I know I suck, I'm no Bass Cliff, and I forget to take pictures when I'm working. I was stage right. The Outdoor Ampitheator is a nice venue, located by the major river running through the city. I've played here before, and it's always nice to enjoy the venue. Pro sound, monitor, and lighting is always a nice perk for this job I know a lot here don't always get. Working with pro engineers during a gig is something I consider a privilege, and I never take it lightly. In the background you can see the headlining drum kit on the rolling drum riser. They are nice for quickly striking a stage and getting the next act on quickly.

image.jpeg

This is a good indicator of the size of the stage. In the summer months there is a good rotation of national acts that play here. There is even a bigger arena about three miles from here, but it seems a lot of acts like this venue.

As this was a BBQ event, there were a lot of tables set up that they normally don't have.

Here I am trying not to get lost in the song....

image.jpeg

You couldn't ask for a nicer evening. Nice temps, blue skies, and pretty flowers. The enticing smell of BBQ filling the nose, and live music filling the ears. And I was in bed by ten pm. That's about as perfect as it gets.

We ended up having about 300 people in attendance by the time our set was done, which was a good crowd for a Thursday evening.

image.jpeg

I will try and post more pictures as they pop up.

Thanks for looking.

2. Hi @JGbassman,

Wow! You are correct. It don't get much better than that. Nice day, great stage, professional crew, etc, make for an enjoyable gig. And getting home early is marvelous. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Very cool! Iowa is a great place... when there isn't 5ft of snow on the ground. :dead:

Tony In Philly and BassCliff like this.
  4. You are absolutely dead on about that. I can't stand the cold or snow, and this last year was full of both. It was one of the worst winters I can remember. About five years ago I came back up to Iowa to take care of my aging parents. Once they pass, I'll probably move back down south again.

5. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I grew up in Des Moines. I remember the old school winters. Bitter cold and a ton of snow. I was the kid that got up at 0400 to shovel the drive and start the cars. We all had block heaters. When I left home in 78 for the Air Force, the winters started being pretty mild, but it's swung back around. I've lived in Vegas for the last 30 years. I like it here. I do go back to DSM to see Mom every other month or so. It's become a lot more fun over the years.

6. Looks like a great venue to play.

Thanks for the review.

JGbassman and Sore Thumb like this.
  7. I'm in Cedar Rapids. I lived in Miami prior to moving back here. It was quite the culture shock.

Here is a few attached pictures to add impact to our statements. This was an early morning, where the ambient air temperature was -27 degrees. Not windchill, it was chilly. I know there are many places that get colder, but that was enough for me. It went three weeks I think and never made it over 20 degrees. It stayed mostly on the 0 to -10 degree range.

image.jpeg

This was about the mean snow level we had from about November until early March. It just wouldn't go away. Yuk.
    image.jpeg

G19Tony likes this.
  8. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I remember it well. I don't go back in the winter. I'm trying to get Mom to come to Vegas for the winter.

9. My folks used to winter in McAllen tx. Did for years. They sold the place down there two years ago, so I'm their life line in the winter. At 91 and 88, they both don't need to be out in that stuff.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    G19Tony likes this.