1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gigging tonight hearing impaired.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Stinsok, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My left ear has been muffled for several days. It comes on the heels of a gig with a loud side fill. I've also had a really bad head cold. I am hoping it's an ear infection and not a permanent loss. I've been using ear wax removal stuff but have not noticed any change. Going to have it looked at on Monday.

MrLenny1 likes this.
  2. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Sucks! I hope you get better!

I wouldn’t be putting ear wax removal stuff in my ears if I suspected an infection—might make it worse.

Seeing a doctor is a good idea but I guess in the states you’re out of pocket to do so.

Lesson to all to protect your hearing and I hope this is just a wake up call and not permanent. Best of luck!

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I did get a lot of disgusting stuff out that needed to come out though!

MrLenny1 likes this.
  4. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Yep, see a Dr. and ALWAYS wear some sort of hearing protection. Most "musicians" earplugs are pretty good these days.

5. Had a bad cold/flu and ended up the same blocked ear.
    I'll be seeing my ENT too!
    Don't be putting anything eles in there, you'll only make it worse.
    Try steamy hot showers to help open up your sinus.

6. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Ugh! Didn’t make any difference?

FYI I got a free hearing test from belltone labs. I just filled it out online and then it was free at the local lab! Really nice to check things out since I have some tinnitus and have a bit of low end loss...

7. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I always has ear plugs in every bass case and in the backpack that carries my amp head.

I've had gigs with really lost stage sound. I got through the gig by keeping my foot on the bass drum peg so I could feel where the beat was. Not fun, but got me through the night.

9. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    If you are me, its allergies right now. I've been stuffed up in all sorts of ways and it gets worse for me year by year.

10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I had that same thing just after Christmas. Kind of ignored it. Didn’t get better or worse, it was just there.

A couple of weeks later, I was feeling the flu coming on the day of a gig. I medicated myself up and went for it and played the gig. Ate some crap food and had a couple of whiskeys. Barely got myself home when the fever and chills kicked in. Three days later I was in the initial stages of what would become full blown pneumonia. Three months later I am now just beginning to feel normal.

I attribute all that to not resting when I should have, not eating well and drinking too much when I was mildly sick. Threw my immune system into disarray and just got sicker. And apparently there was a bunch of nasty stuff going around this year.

All that to say, if you’re feeling off, make sure you rest and take care of yourself instead of pushing it and making it worse.

You can ignore this advice if you’re 30 or younger. ;)

pwhalen likes this.
  11. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It was a pretty miserable experience. I made it through.

DirtDog and eldorado2001 like this.
  12. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It's been a rough few days but I got to see the doc. It was a tremendous build up of wax. I was embarrassed by the amount of impacted gunk they blasted out. I clean my ears, but all I was really doing was shoving it in further. My left ear has some irritation but no big damage. What a relief!

JonnyFishbone likes this.
  13. From the title, I was expecting a whole different subject.
    Prolly for the best.
    I may not burn in hell, but my britches are feeling kind of warm of late. :woot: