Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gigging with Bassman 25?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shirojiro, Aug 14, 2005.

1. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Hi folks,

So I've recently moved from San Francisco back to NYC, and I left the majority of my gear with my brother in SF. I did manage to bring a 4 banger - Ibanez RKB900, my Pandora, and my SansAmp BDDI.

I left behind my Heartfield DR5, the Brice V2 fretless, an Ibanez ATK 300, and A MIJ Fender '75 RI Jazz. I miss them all.

Also, my amps are all in SF - Ampeg SVT 400T, GK MB150S, Avatar 4x10, and SWR WM 1x10. I miss those too.

I recently played a reunion gig with my college band, and it was a really fantastic experience. We played on the Jersey shore at the one of the guitarist's houses. The drummer had a full (huge) kit, and the 2 guitarists had a Mesa Boogie .22 combo and a 2x12 50 watt tube Peavey combo (that sounded great BTW).

I played direct through the board via the SABDDI - a Dynacord 250 x2 powered mixer, and we had a Peavey power amp for 2 wedge monitors (don't know the wattage).

I was really concerned about being too quiet, and about not being able to hear myself. I shouldn't have been concerned about volume since in the FOH mix, I was apparently super loud. Unfortunately, I couldn't hear myself that well through the monitors, even when I cranked the bass in the monitor mix. That's probably why I was so loud out front...

Anyhow, after that long-winded run up, I'm wondering if anyone uses a Bassman 25 or other small amp to gig with, using the PA for the FOH mix, and just monitoring stage volume with the Bassman 25. It seems ideal for the purpose.

I just got a used Bassman 25 for $100, and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed. I don't have the other amps side by side, but I already prefer the tone to that of my old SWR WM10 (which I sold a while ago), and I may prefer it to the GK, but that's not really fair since I don't have it here with me.

The volume is really suprising, and the tone is really big. This little thing is a real bass amp, not some cardboard boxy sounding thing. I'm hoping to try it out in a band setting at some point, but right now, I have no band. :(

Anyone using their Bassman 25 like I'm hoping to?

thanks!

-Shin

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I bought my bassman 25 a few years ago, originally just for practice. Since I've had it, I've used it for coffee house gigs and as an on-stage monitor while feeding the FOH via an SBDDI before I got my GK/Schroeder rig. I have only one complaint... While the single 10" handles my low "B" at practice volumes, it tends to fart out when you try to crank it.

- Ugly.

3. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the input uglybassplayer! I'm glad to hear that someone else thinks that it's a do-able thing to use the little Bassman 25 for gigging.

I think it'd be nice for jazz trio/quartet gigs with a quiet drummer as well. I've recently met a local guitarist who apparently has a rehearsal space. I'm planning on trying the SABDDI + Bassman 25 rig at an audition/jam soon.

I hope it works out - it'd be nice to avoid buying a large amp. I can get on the subway with my gig bag and the Bassman.