1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gigging with combo amps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mlwarriner, Sep 27, 2008.

1. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    My new gigging rig:

b36f_3.

b493_3.

[​IMG]

Replaces my GK 1001RBII into a 4x10. More portable, modular, and IMNSHO sounds better with the hybrid Trace in the mix.

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

2. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Looks neat. I'd like to try one.

3. I gig with my trace elliot combo, but I am looking to get a trace stack soon after christmas, but the combo has served me well!

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I gig with a combo amp most of the time. For small shows just the combo amp. For outdoor or larger shows I add an extension cab.

Shown below is a wedding reception. While we where in a drive shed, most of the audience was outside.

Attached Files:

5. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I use a Mesa Walkabout 12 combo for most gigs (low-medium volume, 50-100 people). I add a Mesa Scout 15 extension to the Walkabout when things need to be louder, or the room is bigger (200-500), or its an outdoor gig.

Works great for me :cool:

6. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    I want to know how you're going to play them both. How are you going to play them both?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's easy. You just use either an ABY pedal or a Y splitter, and plug one cable into one, and the other cable into the other. Or if one combo has a line level out, you can run it into the other combo.

8. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    One of two ways, actually.

1. Bass goes into a Morley ABY box. Out of ABY box to the input of both amps.

2. Bass goes into the input of the Trace. Run cable from the FX send of the Trace to the FX return of the Fender.

Method 1 lets each amp have its own "voice", where method 2 forces the Fender to speak with a british accent :D

9. I use a combo amp, an original Nemesis NC-210. If a play a larger venue, I simply run a balanced line out into the house and use the amp as a stage monitor. Works fine. Don't have that "wall of sound" , but then again I do not have a wall to carry around.

10. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I still gig about once-a-month with my old, trusty, GREAT SOUNDING SWR Silverado Special. Other times I use a head+cab.